Trying to partition my new macbook pro 15" 320 gig hard drive... Taking a long time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bliks, Jan 15, 2009.

1. bliks macrumors member

I am trying to partition the drive to split the drive into a 35GB portion for all my music.

The disk utility has said modifying partition map for about 30 minutes... how long does this process usually take?

2. TooSixy macrumors newbie

3. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

the machine might be going over a bad sector. the process shouldn't take that long. i partitioned a terabyte in a few minutes.

4. bliks thread starter macrumors member

I let it sit fror an extra 10 minutes then I had to leave for work.

I'll try again tonight, but what am I supposed to do for the partition... Can anything be done about this... or am I just SOL on the whole matter?

Thanks,

Cory

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If your drive is fragmented it takes a long time to repartition it.

6. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

try running a disk error utility on it to identify if any bad sectors are present.

7. bliks thread starter macrumors member

I just bought the computer though, theres no way it should be fraggmented?

How would I go about doing that?

I'm a mac newb if you couldn't tell, lol. Long time windows user and new mac convert :p

8. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

exactly. it shouldn't be a problem to partition a blank disk hence the conjecture about the bad sector.

break out your manual and read up on the Software Restore Disk that came with your computer. the thing should have a utility in there that functions like chkdsk on steroids. load the software on bootup.

if you've been a windows user for a long time, you should be able to load a windows boot prompt on the disk and do diagnostics that way from a bootable ISO. hope you've kept up with your DOS command skillz.....

9. bliks thread starter macrumors member

All right perfect!! thnank you so much!

Ill give it a shot when I get home.

-Cory