trying to reinstall mac osx on macbook pro with google os on it.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arepok, Jul 4, 2009.

1. arepok macrumors newbie

So I have the google os on my mac book pro and I hate it. So I'm trying to put it back to the original mac os with the cd's that came with the laptop but It just shows the grey apple on the screen for about 10 seconds and restarts. I try holding C the entire time wont do nothing. I tried entering the bios to manually boot from cd and I can't even get into the bios no matter what buttons I push.

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Er. Mac has no bios. Try holding down the option key as your computer starts up. You can also try cmd-option-shift-delete when it first starts up. They all do the same thing, for the most part.

3. RealaT macrumors regular

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

HFS+. You can't format it to that with anything but an OS X disk, though, or unless it's hooked to another Mac.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I can see how an imaginary operating systems like the Google OS would be really hard to use. :rolleyes:

6. arepok thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea your right. It's not Google os its Good OS that is based around everything google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOS_(operating_system)

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

It's just a Ubuntu-based distro that make use of a few Google apps and widgets powered by Google Gadgets.

Per the gOS disclaimer: "Cloud and gOS are not affiliated with Google or their partners."

8. arepok thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I know. I don't really care what Gos is I just want it off and put the original mac operating system back on.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

A standard Linux install isn't going to "mess up" anything regarding an Intel Mac's boot options. Are you sure you're getting the concept of how and when to hold the OPTION key down?

10. freesonwang macrumors member

So just start fresh again right?

Put either the Restore CD or a Leopard OSX CD into your computer and then hold c when the white screen comes up. Just keep holding c (c stands for "cd" boot). Alternatively, holding "alt/option" will bring up choices to boot from and then you can choose to boot from the install CD.

Then just go through the menus (select erase and install in the install options). It's always good to also zero out the disk with disk utility.

11. arepok thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive tried holding c down. I hold it down the entire time. When a mac normally boots up what do you normall see? When Good os starts up it's a white screen for a good 20 seconds, then some text saying escape to enter options which in there has nothing but mumbo jumbo language to me, then it finally boots up. Could the guy who had the computer last maybe changed the original mac boot/bios stuff?

12. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

13. arepok thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried them all now and still no success... I think it is trying to boot from the cd because the apple comes up on the screen before it restarts. When I don't have the cd in that screen never comes up.

14. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

You will need the disks that came with the Mac when new or Black Mac Operating system disks newer than the Mac. Newer because you cannot downgrade a Mac.

The grey OS disks often available from eBay etc are for the Macs they came with only.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Try zapping PRAM, followed immediately by an attempt to boot to the restore DVD.

16. arepok thread starter macrumors newbie

They are the disks that came with the mac.

17. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Do you hear a kind of "bong" noise when the computer boots up? If you do then after you hear that start holding down the option key. This should give you a selection of what to boot from. Another person I was trying to help on another thread was trying to hold the key down before and after the noise and it wouldn't work until they did it after. The installation of a linux distro shouldn't effect the keys you use to perform various operations at startup.

18. arepok thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been holding it down before the noise. I will try your suggestion tomorrow and let you know if it worked. I sure hope that does! Seems to be the only thing left to try lol.

19. awinterbreeze77 macrumors newbie

Ubuntu - Mac OS X Reinstall

Hi all,

I've a similar problem when I try to reinstall OS X on my MBP. I put Linux (Ubuntu) on there, which I don't regret too much, since is a wonderful OS, but I need to use Final Cut Pro, among other things, so I'm reinstalling OS X. When I boot to the CD, the CD simply ejects, and Ubuntu boots up. Hmmmm...

I tried reinstalling OS X awhile back as well, and when I booted from the CD then, it actually worked, but the disk utility couldn't detect that my harddrive was there. Bizarre, huh? Anyways, helpful thoughts or suggestions would be nice.

Thanks!

20. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Push the option key down immediately after you turn on the mac. It should then show you any devices that are bootable. Including DVDS / External hdds etc.

If you get to that screen put in the Disk1 cd that came with your mac. Other option put the disk in another mac and put it in target disk mode. See if it boots that way.

21. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

The reason nothing shows up is because its not anything in a Mac format. It cant read it so it dont show that partition. Go to the disk utility in the menu bar at the top and format the disk. Then try installing

22. awinterbreeze77 macrumors newbie

Hi, I've tried booting with the option key, as well as with the C key, both cause the cd to eject. I appreciate the advice on disk utility, I just cannot use it until I am able to boot from the cd. :confused: What's target disk mode?

Thanks in advance