Trying to reinstall OS X on Mac Mini for sale... AppleID required?

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I have a 2010 Mac Mini I want to get rid of, and trying to get it back to factory settings. There appears to be no way to install OS X without putting in my AppleID. Any way to do this?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The Apple ID doesn't save or link to the OS whatsoever. It's merely for initial verification. When you enter your details and install the OS, it'll be just like a new machine with the first time setup.

Reactions: Weaselboy

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
The Apple ID doesn't save or link to the OS whatsoever. It's merely for initial verification. When you enter your details and install the OS, it'll be just like a new machine with the first time setup.
OK, thanks... that is what I was concluding after going ahead and seeing what happened afterwards. Just for giggles, I tried to setup a new "burner" AppleID to use for this. It created the account, and even logged into Apple Store and updated my mailing address and such. The only thing I didn't do was put in payment info. Trying to use that ID for the install it still won't take it.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
OK, thanks... that is what I was concluding after going ahead and seeing what happened afterwards. Just for giggles, I tried to setup a new "burner" AppleID to use for this. It created the account, and even logged into Apple Store and updated my mailing address and such. The only thing I didn't do was put in payment info. Trying to use that ID for the install it still won't take it.
It needs to be an OS already redeemed/downloaded from the account, again just for verification purposes. Likely why the burner Apple ID didn't work. :)

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Or you could just not worry about any of that and do a clean install like I linked to above.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Or you could just not worry about any of that and do a clean install like I linked to above.
It's actually a Late 2009 Mac Mini so not able to run Sierra; and I had already done what I did before you replied! :) But thanks for the suggestion!

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
I've come to the conclusion that a USB flash drive makes the best installer solution.

You can create one using either Diskmaker X or Install Disk Creator (or, the terminal).

saulinpa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2008
I've come to the conclusion that a USB flash drive makes the best installer solution.
I agree. I have created an install DVD and installed that way but it takes forever. I think they either removed caching or some other file system optimization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.