Trying to reinstall OS X on Mac Mini for sale... AppleID required?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by convergent, May 31, 2017.

1. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I have a 2010 Mac Mini I want to get rid of, and trying to get it back to factory settings. There appears to be no way to install OS X without putting in my AppleID. Any way to do this?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The Apple ID doesn't save or link to the OS whatsoever. It's merely for initial verification. When you enter your details and install the OS, it'll be just like a new machine with the first time setup.

3. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

UL2RA

4. convergent thread starter macrumors 68030

convergent

OK, thanks... that is what I was concluding after going ahead and seeing what happened afterwards. Just for giggles, I tried to setup a new "burner" AppleID to use for this. It created the account, and even logged into Apple Store and updated my mailing address and such. The only thing I didn't do was put in payment info. Trying to use that ID for the install it still won't take it.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It needs to be an OS already redeemed/downloaded from the account, again just for verification purposes. Likely why the burner Apple ID didn't work. :)

6. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

UL2RA

Or you could just not worry about any of that and do a clean install like I linked to above.

7. convergent thread starter macrumors 68030

convergent

It's actually a Late 2009 Mac Mini so not able to run Sierra; and I had already done what I did before you replied! :) But thanks for the suggestion!

8. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

UL2RA

You can do a clean install with any version of macOS. This tool makes it easy to do: http://diskmakerx.com/

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I've come to the conclusion that a USB flash drive makes the best installer solution.

You can create one using either Diskmaker X or Install Disk Creator (or, the terminal).

10. saulinpa macrumors 6502

I agree. I have created an install DVD and installed that way but it takes forever. I think they either removed caching or some other file system optimization.