Trying to reshape policing in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Feb 8, 2015.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The Christian Science Monitor has an interesting (and quite long!) piece by Patrik Jonsson on the Atlanta police department’s efforts to reinvent itself for better policing in the 21st century: How police can get it right (February 8, 2015).

The article summary under the headline is this: “Atlanta Police Chief George Turner is building a diversified department that's less reactive and more humane that could offer lessons after Ferguson.”

I’d be especially interested to hear what any of you from the Atlanta area think.

Anyway I found the article worth reading; below is an excerpt that I hope will encourage you to read the whole piece, otherwise I’ll feel badly about perhaps bending “fair use” to make a lengthy quote. So don’t make me into a baddie!

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

Well let me break out my violin for those breaking laws that felt the sting of a police force cleaning up the streets.

3. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well if you read the whole piece you must have run into this. Does not sound like your violin is necessary...

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It would be nice if policing policies were based on evidence, and frankly the evidence suggests the softly, softly approach is far more effective that treating neighbourhoods like they're being occupied by a foreign army.