Trying to run run 2x OS X Mavericks and one install of Win 7 on my MBP

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Manuelrodrigues, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Manuelrodrigues, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

Manuelrodrigues macrumors member

Manuelrodrigues

Hi there,

Trying to run 2 x OSX and 1 x win7 on my new rMBP. One for casual use, work, internet etc and one which is a clean instal of osx and almost never comes on the internet as this must be super stable because I operate visuals and lighting. Additionally I want to run one instal of win7 because some of the tools I use are only available on win xp / 7. Thought I had every thing running like a charm but after I installed OSX on the third partition, (after installing win7 and OSX each on their own partition) I got in trouble. Now when I try to boot to the win7 partition I get the message ""No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key".

Help! I can't enter win7 anymore... How do I solve this?

Really hope you can help!

Cheers,

Manuel

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You never heard of visualizations? What is wrong on a notebook using either VMWare's Mac Fusion or Parallels. With visualizations you can run better, faster and OS X doesn't like a lot of partitions.

3. Manuelrodrigues thread starter macrumors member

Manuelrodrigues

Id like to run win7 natively. Running it virtualised has a negative impact on (GPU) performance.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Are you playing Games on this thing? Hard core graphics us just the bane of virtualization, on any platform.

5. Manuelrodrigues thread starter macrumors member

Manuelrodrigues

What does "Us just the Bane" mean?

I'm running a GPU heavy realtime 3d lighting simulation tool. Its not available for OSX.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

So you want boot into each partition all the time? Plus each one should have a trial try it and see if it works. What is to loose?

7. Manuelrodrigues thread starter macrumors member

Manuelrodrigues

The first option you mention costs 80 euro and the other a 100. I think its worth the research to see if I can run like I want it and for free.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you running up against is a limitation in the way Bootcamp works. You can only have the one OS X partition and the one Bootcamp partition. I have seen posts with users saying they got around this somehow, but I don't recall the procedure. I did find this old thread with a work around. No idea if it still works.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Yeah, apple's bootloader can't handle what you are asking. You can try a custom bootloader, and I think there is still one around. Also, you can try making a bootable partition from another drive for one of the installs.

The easiest solution is just to make a user account that is clean, and don't bother making 2 OSX partitions.