Trying to see if I have several of the same audio files on my macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by idkwhocares, Jun 25, 2012.

1. idkwhocares macrumors newbie

So I recently purchased a macbook pro for college and I transferred all my music from my old computer on to it. Unfortunately I wasn't exactly well organized. Several files or albums may have been put on the mac twice or more.
    According to iTunes, I have 37GBs of music but according to the Mac itself, I have 96GBs of audio files on my Mac.

Is there a way to check to see if I have duplicates of the same album/song/file?

It's superrrr and I blame it all on my poor organizational skills.
    Any feedback would be helpful

2. GGJstudios, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, look to see if these boxes are checked in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced:
    [​IMG]
    If they are, that means that every time you add music to your iTunes library, it makes a copy of the music files. The originals may still exist on your computer. Also, look at the iTunes Media folder location above those check boxes. That's where your iTunes music resides. You can use Finder to search your drive for "Kind is Music" and if any music files are located in other locations, they may be eligible for deletion.
    ScreenCap 2012-06-25 at Mon, Jun 25,10.49.28 AM .PNG
    It can be a tedious process, but unfortunately, there's no quick and easy solution.

3. idkwhocares thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for your speedy response! I wasn't expecting something that fast.

Why would iTunes have that checked as a default setting? Seems really unnecessary and a huge storage space suck.
    Again, thanks a lot.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I guess Apple assumes most users don't want to manage their music files themselves. I prefer leaving those unchecked, as I prefer my file naming convention and my library organization more than the iTunes default method. It's taken many years to create and organize my library, and I didn't want iTunes screwing it up.