Trying to sell Hermès AW -eBay advice

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dstew201, Oct 7, 2018.

1. dstew201 macrumors 6502

dstew201

I recently posted my series 3 Hermès on eBay, and immediately received 2 offers, slightly over my asking price. Both buyers have 0 feedback.

Anyone have any advice on how to avoid scammers?

The offers are tempting.

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Offers over your asking price are an obvious red flag. Zero feedback bidders are questionable enough to avoid altogether. I've been on eBay since 1998, but these days I do my selling on Craigslist. Never had an issue. Lots of people also like Swappa. Never tried it. But eBay has gone out of their way to make selling more risky than not for sellers, while protecting fraudsters, all in the name of collecting those precious fees.

3. dstew201 thread starter macrumors 6502

dstew201

That’s what I was afraid of. I have not used eBay since ‘05. Thnx!

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I personally think eBay is _not_ reliable and is a ‘hot zone’ for Apple products and fraud combined. Anytime you’re selling something on eBay, make sure you’re researching anyone that’s potentially interested with their feedback, how long they have been a member, do they have any items for sale, ect. My theory is, ‘If something doesn’t seem right, it likely isn’t’. I refuse to sell my Apple products on eBay, as I would rather do so locally in person with cash in hand, to avoid the potential risk of losing your product or money.

5. redavis41 macrumors member

redavis41

Try Swappa. Their fees are better for you and the buying/selling experience has been smoother in my opinion.

6. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

I remove and block any bids/bidders that have no feedback on my listings. They’re scum looking to screw your over after you accept their offer.

7. dstew201 thread starter macrumors 6502

dstew201

lol! Darn! I just got an offer, for my series 3 nonetheless,$1400!
    o_O

8. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

I’d suggest tightening your eBay seller settings up further. I was able to cut down on some of the noise by blocking buyers who have had X number of reports filed against them in the last X months.

Also, whenever I sell products on eBay, they always have extra scammers. Be on extra alert.

9. Scott G. macrumors regular

So, what happens when someone like me, who rarely uses eBay, wants to buy something?

10. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

If you have a profile with at least one rating, I’ll consider. Otherwise I block. I know I’m narrowing my audience but I don’t have time for scammers.

11. Relentless Power, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t think that’s the point, I think there are many members on eBay who don’t have a history of purchasing, but when you have those who are throwing out ridiculous offers that are looking nothing more to scam the buyer, that’s where the potential problem is. As I mentioned before, Apple products have a very high rate of fraud on eBay because of their popularity and resale value overall. That’s where the red flags need to be raised as a seller.

12. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502a

SisterBlue22

I sell a ton on eBay, including high end items (authentic Louis Vuitton bags, Tiffany items, two Apple Watches, etc.). I have zero or negative feedback buyers blocked, as well as whatever other safeguards eBay offers (I think you can block anyone with a negative feedback within the last X months, stuff like that). Zero feedback buyers are a red flag for sure, although they can be legit if they just joined, but I'd advise to stay away...especially with offers of more than the asking price.