Trying to understand the point of HDD Lacie TB drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macbook123, Sep 21, 2011.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I have a very simple question: Does it make sense to buy a Lacie little big disk given that it "only" has two 7200 rpm drives in it? Wouldn't I need SSD's to really make use of the fast speed of TB?

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Even the SSD model doesn't come close to filling TB's 10gbps throughput, let alone the HDD model. The thing about the HDD model is that even though it's slower than the SSD model, it will still blow away a FW800 drive's speed. So yeah, if you ignore the SSD model and just compare the HDD TB drive with a FW800 HDD drive it's totally worth it.

3. mac jones, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

There's a video in the other thread that shows a speed test. These are very fast. They use the TB bandwidth and are much faster than FW800.

Either that, or the benchmarks are bad.

Just take a look at the benches and you may want one. However, they aren't cheap.

As a matter of fact, if these drives are performing like these benches indicate, they will suit my needs perfectly, so the premium is totally worth it. When I first saw the huge markup for these I was astonished at the audacity of Lacie. I just ordered one though.

Having said that, Raid implementations in my experience are not optimal, and are slow at some tasks.

4. coopiklaani macrumors member

coopiklaani

Because TB is the only thing you have on a macbook air that is faster than USB2.0. There's nothing in between to fill the 480Mbps to 10Gbps gap:mad:

5. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816