Trying to update a JB 3Gs to OS4 but I've lost the IPSW files!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by theoy, Jun 25, 2010.

1. theoy macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm trying to update my iphone 3GS to the new operating system (OS 4.0). I jailbroke it using pwange back when it was running 3.0 but have since lost the ipsw files. What is my best way to update to 4.0? I've tried downloading an ipsw for the previous update (3.1) but it won't let me restore to that - says apple doesn't recognise it. I changed my root password previously, is this the problem?

I'd also like to JB it again when I do upgrade - can it be done at the same time so I don't lose apps and settings?

Thanks for your help - I'm completely reliant on my phone for work (and life) and nervous that I might screw it all up!:confused:

2. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

there is a good tutorial(s) on the iclarified website instructing you how to jailbreak your iphone.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What firmware are you currently running? Are you jailbroken and, if so, what tool did you use to jailbreak?

4. theoy thread starter macrumors newbie

IT's jailbroken using pwange tool and running 3.1.2 (according to my phone).

5. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

You can use Pwnage Tool 4.01 to make a custom 4.0 FW a restore to that.
    Keep in mind that a lot of JB apps are still not compatible in 4.0.

You cannot upgrade to 4.0 and JB, it has to be a custom FW loaded from a Pwned state. As with any restore you you will have to sync/restore from back-up to regain apps and settings

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can upgrade to 4.0 JB using PwnageTool 4.01. Just make sure you don't restore to the official version of 4.0. Follow this iClarified tutorial.

And thank you for asking first. Too many people upgrade and then ask.

7. theoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this. But doesn't Pwnage ask for your ipsw? I don't have any stored. Would I then look to find a ipsw for 4.0 or one for my original firmwire?

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You need to customize the 4.0 firmware. You can download it here.

9. theoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this. I did look at it before but thought it was what I had already tried. I will have another go from scratch! probably me!!

I'll let you know how it goes.

10. theoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I'm about to have another go and I'll let you know if it works this time.

11. theoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks to you both for your prompt accurate responses. It worked. I've upgraded! Now I've got to sync all my Spotify playlists again!!

Thanks again

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist