Trying to use my Macbook Pro as a second monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tremptek, Mar 31, 2014.

1. tremptek macrumors newbie

So i'm using my Early 2008 MacBook Pro still despite it falling apart and being held together with some homemade repairs (hey it works ppl).

But I am primarily using my new Lenovo y510p for web work and designing. I use it as my primary work source, so I'm looking for a way to hook my macbook early 08 up to use as a second monitor for my Lenovo y510p to be used as the main source for working. I have the DVI VGA converter (http://i.stack.imgur.com/hP5dV.jpg) but dont know if this will help.

Any suggestions or cables that will help me accomplish this? Links to products would be most appreciated if possible. Thanks!

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

ScreenRecycler is the only option I know of. It's been a long time since I've tried it, but it looks updated so it's worth a try.

3. tremptek thread starter macrumors newbie

Well this is a great tool for sure.

But i'm looking for one that will be able to be used with my Lenovo y510p as the main screen, i.e. i see the Lenovo's activity on my older macbook pro.

Any other options?? please!

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

ScreenRecycler doesn't work for that? It says it works with Macs and PCs and all you need is two computers.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not a single port on a MBP has a direct input to the display. What you are trying to accomplish is not possible.

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Not with hardware, but if you had read my post about ScreenRecycler you would know that it works with software over the network. It doesn't need hardware access.

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That potentially introduces other issues, depending on how the network is set up. It might be the only option, though, since the hardware route is not possible, as was previously mentioned.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

And latency is so horrible that unless all you do is display static pictures the screen is pretty much useless.

9. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Not necessarily, you can screen share over the internet just fine if you have fast internet on both ends and this is over LAN. At least try it before you bash it, especially because you're saying things that aren't true.