Trying to weigh pros and cons of waiting for Apple Thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macbook123, Aug 10, 2011.

1. macbook123, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the Thunderbolt display or get e.g. the HP 30 inch ZR30w.

The reason I'm posting here is that I'd like to get some input from folks about the cons of going for the HP monitor.

I own a new 13 inch Air, and it is my primary computer. I've used a 30 inch monitor for work but it's very old and many backlight elements have burned out and the colors are kind of washed out. I've really come to appreciate the 30 inch size, i.e. it seems just right for my line of work. I also like the fact that I can push it down all the way, i.e. the lower bezel almost touches the table top. Finally, I am not too keen on having an ultra-reflective slab of glass between me and my work, though as it's in a not-too bright office it would probably not matter too much.

Alas, three arguments against waiting for the Apple: size, height adjustment, and non-mirror display.

What are the main advantages of the Apple, apart from its look? I can see myself needing Thunderbolt a lot, and am even planning to buy a Pegasus RAID drive, given the lack of alternatives. Are there any indications that daisy-chain adapters will be on the market soon, so that I could use the HP monitor AND a Thunderbolt external drive at the same time?

For now, will I be able to use the HP with the Thunderbolt outlet on my Air, with the standard Displayport adapter, including USB outlets on the HP?

Any other advantages, apart from its being am integrated Thunderbolt daisy-chain, in the Apple monitor?

Thanks!!

2. nunes013, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

you can use the thunderbolt and do a mini display port to dvi and then a dvi to hdmi cable. that should work to connect to the display. i can't really think of way to hook it up while using the usb ports on the hp. then again its almost 11:30 and i have a headache so im not thinking right anyway :D

for the apple display it does have the thunderbolt daisy chain and also now has an ethernet, usb, and firewire which makes it very appealing. as an air owner you could use the ethernet on the display if someplace you went did not for some reason have wifi. also the apple display is cheaper and has an HD webcam.

i personally have always wanted the cinema display and i believe it integrates better with your notebook but thats just me. i also haven't heard of a thunderbolt daisy chain adaptor at all. my parents do have a 21" hp monitor and it is very nice. no problems at all for about 3 years.

EDIT: but i would go with the apple display.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

1) It is a FW800/USB/Ethernet hub
    2) It has very accurate color profile
    3) It contains nice enough speakers
    4) The appearance is centerpiece quality

4. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks to All!

I guess each of your responses leads to one question: Why does nobody produce a thunderbolt adapter that offers all the ports on Apple's display (Ethernet, USB, FW800, Thunderbolt, MDP)? Seems like a no-brainer!!! I'd pay $500 for it!

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

that and i wish there was a way to use the new thunderbolt display with my 2009 mbp. i can't afford one right now but i find it silly that you have to upgrade your computer just to use the display. i mean apple is still shipping mini display computers (mac pro). i wish they would at least make the same display but with a mini display instead of thunderbolt to give the option for older users. they could the sell the two side-by-side for at least another year or two then only produce the thunderbolt display.

6. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Do you mean this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC007LL/A

?

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

The current LED Cinema Display is still available for sale (it has a Mini Displayport video connector which also carries audio for the speakers, and separate USB plug for the integrated camera and hub), and as I understand, that will continue for the foreseeable future. So, you're in luck. :)

8. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

:eek: i didn't see it under mac>accessories. thats good to know. thanks!!!:)