Trying to weigh the pros/cons of selling off my iMac for a MacBook

Discussion in 'iMac' started by louis0nfire, Aug 22, 2012.

1. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

Currently I have a 27" iMac (2.8 i7, 4gb, 2TB) and a custom built gaming PC. I also have an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2. Lately I've been considering selling my 27" iMac and getting a MacBook with that money. I paid over $2,000 for it, and I feel like I'm downgrading SO much. I figure I could sell this for $1400 at most, which is still a good value. I don't necessarily need a laptop for work or use on the road, but I'd rather be able to use my MacBook as my main computer wherever I like and have my gaming PC as my desktop machine. Someone talk me off/on the ledge? I just need someone to talk to about this! :) Thanks

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well. I'd push you to the edge and sell away your iMac.
    Put the money toward an MBP, or even better get an MBA for real portability since you compromise so little to get that much less weight and thinness.

You get a gaming desktop already. That's one for your powaahhh time. Nothing can beat that for the purpose. So I don't see any benefit to hold onto your iMac. What kind of monitor do you use with your desktop? Does it has DP inputs? You can get mDP to HDMI cable though if your monitor only supports HDMI input at most. It would be sweet if you can also switch and plug your new MBP/A to it, altogether with your tower.

Perfect setup and balance between power and portability, I'd say.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Doesn't seem to be much point having two desktops. But I'm not even sure with that setup you need the MBP either.

You've got the gaming covered; and browsing and email and whatnot, so whaddya need another computer for?

4. alias99 macrumors regular

Im guessing he wants a mac for day to day stuff and wants to leave the pc box just for gaming? In that case makes perfect sense to go with the MBA. Currently I am running a Gaming pc, MBA, iPad and iPhone and the balance is good. Sometimes I hook up the MBA to my desktop monitor if I am going to be on it for a long time and it works quite well for now.

5. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

I dunno if I could go back from a 27' screen to a smaller one (even if retina) ...

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

From what I've read it's harder the other way. When you've been looking at the Retina screen long enough, any non-Retina looks old and inferior.

7. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

No way. You'd have to add money to get a 15" MBP and the 13" is quite a bit slower than the iMac and has a bad screen. You already have an iPad for lounging around, so do you really need another portable device?