Trying to wrap my head around HDR10 Andy Dolby Vision

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by stringerhye, Sep 26, 2017.

1. stringerhye macrumors 6502a

stringerhye

I am coming home from a vacation to a new AppleTV 4K and I’m wondering a few thing about it’s setup and it’s handling of HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

I have a Sony Bravoa 930D from 2016 that supports HDR10 but not DV. Will I still be able to watch movies from iTunes and Netflix in HDR without DV support?

Also I am reading a lot of concerning things about settings with the new ATV4K. I know to set the HDMI input to Enhanced mode but is there any other settings I should know?

2. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

Yes, Dolby Vision is backwards compatible so it will just play the movie in standard HDR mode. Unfortunately your best bet right now is to change the video settings based on what you're watching, as Apple didn't give you the option of having the Apple TV automatically set it. For HDR film content, set it to 4k HDR 24hz, standard 4K or 1080p set to 4K SDR 24hz for film content, 60hz for TV shows.

3. err404 macrumors 68020

Imaging a scale from 0 to 10. That scale is the brightness range for an SDR. The scale for HDR would go from -2 to 12.
    Now the issue is that you do t have any more data in your signal to send that range, this is where HDR10 and DV come in. They are a metadata layer that tells the TV how to shift the image to fill the rest of the range.
    At this point we don’t know for sure what the Apple TV does when a DV video is sent to an HDR display. Most likely it just gets the SDR version of the video.

4. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

As I said, Dolby Vision is backwards compatible so it will just play as a normal HDR10 video

5. stringerhye thread starter macrumors 6502a

stringerhye

But there’s no way to know for sure since the tv is forcing an HDR image.

6. err404 macrumors 68020

I am inclined to believe you, I have just seen a lot of contradictory information. DV content on my HDR10 only display does look good, but so does SDR content when the brightness is cranked to max in HDR mode

7. stringerhye thread starter macrumors 6502a

stringerhye

Man. This is such an oversight on apples part. If I see a movie is labeled as Dolby Vision on iTunes. There’s no way for me to know if it is going to play in HDR on my TV.

8. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Unfortunately, I'll never go switching settings on my TV depending on what I am playing. I have played around with my settings and have found what I feel to be a happy medium on the 4K HDR setting. It's all kind of complicated to me. I guess it would be best if the Apple TV made the adjustments for me.

9. dman67 macrumors newbie

Jamie0003, noticed you are in the UK. My display handles HDR10 only, so Do these settings apply to your country only or US included?

10. Rudy1 macrumors newbie

Rudy1

I've got one connected to a Sony X930D. The ATV recognized the display as compatible with HDR10, and configured itself accordingly. I also have one connected to a Dolby Vision-capable display, and that ATV configured itself as well. Dolby Vision titles displayed normally (based on my experience with the same titles on UHD Blu-Ray disc) on the HDR10-only Sony. I am using the Cinema Pro setting on the X930D, and I haven't had to make any changes. I have another ATV connected to a Dolby Vision-capable Philips TV, and that ATV also configured itself once connected to the display.

Some have expressed concern about the ATV "forcing" HDR mode on titles that have not been graded in high dynamic range, but I have access on other platforms to several such titles which are also on iTunes and the differences in picture quality are minimal. Whatever the ATVs are doing, it is certainly not as aggressive as the faux-HDR mode most first tier manufacturers utilize on their sets to enhance non-HDR content.

11. stringerhye thread starter macrumors 6502a

stringerhye

If it's in the Cinema Pro setting mode then it is not displaying HDR content right?

12. Rudy1 macrumors newbie

Rudy1

I used the Cinema Pro mode only as baseline...I calibrated the TV for Cinema Home, Cinema Pro, and HDR using settings recommended by AVForums UK. The TV switched to HDR mode when I first connected the ATV, and I haven't had to make any additional changes to the settings.

13. high3r macrumors member

If you have a Dolby Vision capable display (an LG OLED for instance), its OSD displays whether to content is HDR10 or DV. Btw, DV is not backwards compatible with HDR10, it's a different technology. The former sends static metadata to the display while the latter is dynamic. Probably it's the same on the iTunes store as with UHD BluRays where HDR10 is mandatory and Dolby Vision is optional.

14. archer75 macrumors 68020

Not true. On vudu it's Dolby vision or nothing. It doesn't give you HDR if you don't have a Dolby vision tv.
    Hdr10 isn't a "core" of Dolby vision. It's up to the provider to have a Dolby vision copy for those who have a supporting tv and an hdr copy for those who don't.
    HDR10+ is more of an extension of HDR10 and is meant to compete with Dolby vision.
    And then to make it more confusing there's HLG which is HDR for broadcast tv.