TSA: Do I take my 11" MB Air out or leave it in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bella92108, Oct 23, 2010.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

So the Macbook Pro ya gotta take out at security or they'll make you take it out. Back when I had a netbook they generally just let it go through the scanner. With the iPad since it's thin and has no moving parts inside they don't require taking it out of the bag to go through security. Theorhetically, the iPad and Macbook Air new models should be treated the same when going through the TSA checkpoints, right? I travel the world and I still think it's funny how we're one of the very few countries that actually make you take off your shoes, or remove the laptop from the bag... it seems so primitive given technology, but back to topic... anyone taken a 11" through yet to find out what the general rule of thumb on the 11"s are? Mine isn't being delivered till this week but I'll take it through security whatever day it arrives and report back how it's treated for everyone's education :)

2. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

3. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

What's different between an iPad and a Macbook Air?

4. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Besides the obvious, TSA will consider the Air a laptop.

Argue if you wish. Best of luck to you if you chose to do so.

It's just the way it is in this country. Takes seconds to take your laptop out. You can even leave it in the bag if you have a TSA approved case.

I travel weekly with two Lenovo laptops. Yes, it's a pain at security, but it's the way it is.

5. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

It's a clam-shell device.

6. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I travel weekly too, and the policy is also to take out your liquids, gels, and aerosols, and I've never once taken them out in the US in the last year and have never been stopped. I suppose their quick glance up to profile the passenger gets me through, lol. I'm wondering if the 11" macbook air will be borderline enough to get by without.

I guess that makes sense then... well I understand... it still doesn't make SENSE, lol...

7. cja123 macrumors newbie

There's a cooling fan inside, and it's in a laptop form factor.

8. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, wow, that's good to know. I was under the impression that the new MB Air was fanless. Someone in another thread stated that there were no moving parts inside, hence it triggered my question regarding the diff between iPad and MBA. Knowing it has a fan inside now it makes sense :)

9. bolsen78 macrumors regular

Do you have to be sarcastic about it? Why dont you just call the airline and ask them if you have to our not? or if there is a size requirement or something. If you want help your not going to get any if you have to be rude about the answers that people are giving you.

10. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

a) What about what I said was sarcastic. Maybe you shouldn't assume someone tone because you want to have confrontation.

b) It's not up to the airline as to what you bring through TSA's security checkpoint, it's up to TSA under the guidelines of the Department of Homeland Security. It's an evolving list of items, as the line between a computer and a non-computer gets finer... ie the iPad.

c) There was no rudeness, I simply acknowledged that the response was a good one as I hadn't thought of the fan as possibly being the differentiation between a laptop and a non laptop.

When someone looks at you at the mall do you think they're giving you a dirty look every time? Just because someone questions something, you can't read into their comment however you see fit. Not everyone thinks like you.

Thanks for the reply.

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Tell you what...whenever I travel with my netbook I have to take it out. Now, the MBA is the same as a netbook. So, take it out.

Besides, why not? The 10 extra seconds too much? We're talking about security here.

12. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I suppose. I guess if it makes you feel more secure that I take out my "netbook" Macbook Air 11" then I'll do it just for you :) See, now THAT'S sarcasm, hehe

13. bolsen78 macrumors regular

It was just the way it was worded I am also entitled to read how I read it idc. I just assumed to just take it out when I fly although mine is the small one. I am assuming if I leave it in my bag they will see it and have me take it out anyways.

14. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Generally if you have something questionable they'll look at you, profile, then either pull the bag for a bag check, or let it pass through. I'm not going to get political and turn this into a detailed discussion, just thought it'd be interesting to see what people thought about the line getting closer to non-computer like the iPad in the eyes of TSA :)

15. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I am a type-1 diabetic and they just let a few hypodermic needles and a vial of insulin (the needles are in case of emergency, I use an OmniPod) go through without a question; they were in my suitcase. I figured I would have to mention it before I put my bag through, but I spaced it and they never even looked at me.
    Made me feel real safe.

16. bolsen78 macrumors regular

It is fine but I am sort of curious now that you had posted this question. Hopefully someone will fly with one of these soon!!

17. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mine is supposed to arrive Tuesday. I'll take it Tuesday night and report back.

18. bolsen78 macrumors regular

Did you get the 11.6 by chance? That is the one I had purchased today. It is bigger than my Dell mini altho I never took my Dell when flying. But I do plan on taking this one with me when I leave for a long flight in december. Damn Tuesday is so far away!! Oh well!

19. bolsen78 macrumors regular

NVM I am an airhead your post states that it is an 11" sorry

20. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

No worries :)

21. masterpace macrumors regular

You do whatever you want. Worst case scenario, they spot it and screen it separately. As far as I'm concerned, I would not bother taking it out. Most likely, it would go unnoticed. It's up to you!

22. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

That's what I'm thinking. Thanks :)

23. bolsen78 macrumors regular

24. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not to mention a MBP might slow down a bullet... but it'd cut through a Dell mini like butter, hehe