TSA doesn't think people from D.C. are citizens.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Jul 16, 2014.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/15/tsa-agent-dc-license-passport_n_5588735.html?ir=Media

And we trust these people to keep us safe?:eek::confused:

2. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

And everyone has a passport? Never being out of the country I don't have one.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Read about this earlier on FlightAware.

After passing the checkpoint, he should have turned back and said as a friendly reminder, "If you touch my junk, I'll have you arrested."

It isn't too early for that, is it? :D

BL.

5. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

That's true but I do so I just bring it to avoid these kind of confusions.

Not saying what happened is right, all Americans should know be able to name all states, especialy TSA

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have a passport, but never take it when I am traveling domestically. Seems like the TSA should improve their training or hire more qualified people.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

It was one ill-informed agent.....Many DC residents fly every day.

8. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

9. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. This is one reason why airports are kicking them out. Sanford Airport down the street from Orlando Airport is replacing TSA with a private security firm in a few months. Also at Orlando Airport is looking into the same option of replacing them with a private company.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The downward slope: Dumb, then benighted, then TSA material.

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

It happened twice! Seriously, why are we putting these people in charge of airport security. Everyone is so worried about a phone exploding but we can't get people that know where Washington D.C. is?

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Can you work weekends and show up on time?

YES.

Good, your hired.

Here's my resume and references.

Whatever, you keep that, show up tomorrow at 6am sharp.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The solution is simple: Time for DC to become a state, allowing the land on which government buildings are located to be federal reserves not under the city's jurisdiction.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

Twice!! We're up to 4 thousandths of 1%! AHHHHHHH!!!

Maybe this is a wakeup call that the cutting of education budgets by a certain sector of our political system actually has consequences. People are becoming so dumb they don't even know all of the parts of our own country.

16. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Mine expired many years ago, and I'm not paying $150 or whatever it is just to get one.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Actually, it happens more often than you think. I was flying from ATL to JKF a few weeks ago. A elderly man and his wife had Puerto Rican Driver's Licenses. The TSA agent was really giving them a hard time because they had American Passports with "foreign" driver's licenses. To make matters worse, they didn't speak English.

The TSA agent finally after getting information over a telephone let them pass but not before making several comments that if you are going to carry an American passport you should know English.

This isn't the first time that I've seen TSA really having a problem with something unusual. Once I was traveling in uniform with another military officer. When we arrived at JFK from Germany, the TSA wanted to see his passport in addition to his military identification. He didn't have one, nor was he required to have one. They detained him for over an hour because although he is an American citizen, he was born in Viet Nam.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Well, if TSA regulations require them to see a "state-issued ID," it sounds more like a poorly-written policy than a dumb agent, although having seen lots of behind-the-scenes with TSA I suspect it's a healthy dose of both.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The driver's licenses issued by the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa and the US Virgin Islands are considered to be State ID's. Keep in mind that Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Maryland and Kentucky are commonwealths. Licenses from Puerto Rico say "Commonwealth of Puerto Rico" and are in English and Spanish. Just because it doesn't have a star on the flag doesn't mean that the District of Columbia doesn't have state identity documents.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Only in their own minds. The US sees them as states, as do the other states.

Hey, I'm not the one you have to convince - like I said, this falls on the TSA and its employees, as far as I'm concerned.

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It's pretty sad. When I was a kid we actually took Geography in school. We had to memorize the states and their capitals. We took American History where we learned all about how each state and territory joined the USA. Those days are gone. Now schools teach two subjects… Math and Reading Comprehension. Oh, they have a section called History but when they give you a paragraph to read about George Washington, then ask you a couple questions about the paragraph, that isn reading comprehension not history.

22. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I really don't get that, history and geography are so important. Even more so than math in my opinion.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

What's the problem? It's not like DC residents have the same voting rights as real citizens anyway...:rolleyes:

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Not long ago, I had a college graduate who was trying to find a clerk's office at the Capitol. She searched in Both Dallas and Houston before telling me he didn't have an office. Then she rolled her eyes when I called Austin and got his number in seconds. Got to love today's graduates.

----------

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Washington,_D.C._license_plate.JPG

25. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I know so many people that can't find Alaska on a map... :(