TSA makes 95-year-old woman remove diaper

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mrkramer, Jun 27, 2011.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm not really sure what to say about this. The TSA are a bunch of idiots who can't catch real terrorists, but at least they keep us safe from 95-year-old grandmothers.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/26/florida.tsa.incident/index.html

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

That's pretty damn wrong.

We had a debate here about whether airport security should have a written profiling policy last year. I'm in favour of it. Is a 95 year old a high risk person? Of course not!

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can't wait to see the "War on Terror" proponents defend this one. :rolleyes:

4. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

I can understand pat downs as I don't think they're as big a deal as many make them out to be, but this is just ridiculous. Just how far are they gonna go?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As far as "we" let them.

6. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

As long as their profiling policy is based on behavior and not race I'm all for it. Unfortunately it seems like most people who are for profiling want it to be based on race.

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Seriously, this makes me so nervous about flying to the U.S. again. Luckily it was very quick an uneventful when I went over there.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do you wear diapers? ;)

I'm amazed that no one has punched out a TSA agent yet.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Removing a diaper is kind of disgraceful. I'm sure there are those who cheer "all for security"!

When I originally heard about these new scanners many years ago, I was excited. "You mean it's going to be more convenient because they can see everything you are carrying?" I was thinking if they could see these items on you, there would be no reason to remove them to be seen in a separate scan. Wrong. Now everything has to come out of your pockets making this less convenient, making the process more intrusive.

There are two types of scanners millimeter wave and backscatter imagers.

Here is a backscatter image (hmm nice abs):
    [​IMG]

Millimeter wave image:
    [​IMG]

Neither of these leave little to the imagination. They may not be up to date with the latest software as they are working on software that works around the "personal" image and focuses on foreign object carried on the body. This is an improvement, if you prefer not having your naked body oggled, however having to take all items out of your pockets including belts and shoes is still inconvenient.

The biggest problem is that TSA is "reactive" and not "proactive". A guy puts a bomb in his shoe, all shoes come off. A guy puts a bomb in is underwear... I'm surprised we are not... ;) I like what Israel does, profiling, not by giving extra special treatment to all Arabs for example, but to ask questions and have some personal interaction with passengers. However I acknowledge that I don't know how well this would work in the U.S. with it's jammed packed airports.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

TSA needs to profile, this a 100% stupid power play.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I very much doubt it. More like an inverted image, courtesy of TinEye:

airport scan04 square.jpg

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Nice butt. :cool:

On the gun. :p

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It's time to wear kilts with no underwear.

14. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

When we went to Turkey last summer we deliberately took the longer flight through Amsterdam rather than having the transfer in Chicago.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There are a couple of things I don't understand about these stories that seem to come out with alarming regularity

1) How the Government can justify this sort of behaviour
    2) Why US citizens are allowing the government to get away with it

I spent a lot of time working in the USA in 2000 and 2001 (I've only been once since 9/11), and in the summer of 2000 I was on a business trip to Washington. The guys I was with took me to see the Whitehouse and the thing that struck me was the national pride that was evident as they proudly proclaimed it to be the "centre of the free world" and the "cornerstone of democracy"
    I got the impression then that the genuinely believed what they were saying: It was more than rhetoric.

I understand how devastating the 9/11 attacks were but it seems to me that that was the day the terrorists won: They want to instil terror in the general population, and it seems like they have succeeded. From the Patriot act to over zealous TSA officials, the USA is certainly no longer the country it was 10 years ago and large numbers of US citizens blindly follow their government into oppression in the name of freedom

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, the terrorists did win. We gave up freedoms and they've almost bankrupted us. I give it another couple of years until Americans finally wake up. I hope it's not too late then.

17. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

qft

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

No one votes for the TSA, and no one we can vote for will do anything about the TSA.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nonsense. If and when enough Americans have their fill of the terrorism scare tactics used by our government, it will become an issue and policy will be affected.

20. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The only problem you have with that is that you would need for it to become high enough on the "annoyance" agenda to outmark the rest of the policy issues facing voters when it comes to elections. If you can't make it annoying enough to be a hot-button issue, the policy won't be changed.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Well, the "war on terrorism" is high on my agenda of annoyances in this country. We've spend trillions in wars and enriching former homeland security officials with ridiculously-expensive-for-show-security at airports, not to mention the bloated DHS.

Vietnam way
    war on poverty
    war on drugs
    war on terrorism
    Iraq
    Afghanistan

When's the last time we won one? :D

22. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

So who exactly are you gonna profile?

23. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Most people don't care, or don't fly enough to be sufficiently hassled by it firsthand. In order to filter it down enough to get the populace properly roused against it, we'd probably have to have agents in the streets "randomly" asking for papers.

Oddly enough, the safest I've ever felt flying was one week after 9/11, well before all the security dog-and-pony shows started.

24. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

9/11 didn't stop me from flying to CA on Thanksgiving. The two planes I was on where pretty much empty, I guess too people where too afraid to fly. I wasn't scared of anything was going to happen, but they sure picked me for the extra screening at the time. :/

Hugh