TSA Precheck

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Huntn, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Last time I passed through the Houston International Airport I was handed a TSA Precheck card and given a free taste of the program- shoes kept on, suit case kept closed, computer left in bag, the only requirement was that I did not beep. Wow, this is great! :)

Then when I started the online application, I found out that the only sign up location was Indianapolis, Indiana. Huh? They gotta be kidding... :( To clarify, you can use the program at all airports that have the program, but you have to go to Indianapolis to activate yourself in the program. Outstanding for those people who live within 200 miles of Indy. :-\

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've heard this program is set to expand.

For those who travel a lot, it might be worth the trouble.

For me ... I can just take off my shoes.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My parents and I flew over Thanksgiving and they both got precheck and I didn't. It was their first time flying in 18 months, I fly a bit more frequently than that. I know they didn't apply for anything.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

OK, can someone explain this? I wasn't aware that Indianapolis was even a hub for any major airline. I've got nothing against Indianapolis. How could I? I've never been there, despite the 50 or so other airports in the U.S. that I have been through.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

A perfect opportunity to say something negative about the Obama Administration. Come on, I know someone is up to it! :)

As for myself, I have no clue why if they were going to have just one location (for now) it would not be in a major metropolitan location, say HOUSTON :p, DC, New York, NY, San Franciso, of L.A.... maybe they want to keep the traffic down? ;)

6. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I travel a lot between NYC and Raleigh, NC. About 4 trips ago, I noticed that my boarding pass said TSA PreChk on it, so I went through the "express" lane. It's been on every boarding pass ever since.

I never signed up for anything. It just appeared.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you want to use Pre Check regularly, you have to register. A few months ago, the TSA started selecting random people for PC. You may or may not be chosen again.

8. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Do Global Entry instead and apply at a whole list of places: http://www.globalentry.gov/enrollmentcenters.html

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

10. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I was signed up for Pre Check via United, my carrier of choice, a bit over a year ago and have been pleased with it. More airports with pre check access are coming online every month, and I've been pretty luck over the past year. Most of the smaller/commuter airline aiports don't have it set up, but that's to be expected.

As far as having to travel through Indianapolis in order to activate the service? That sounds a bit off the wall...

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I had a similar experience with a bunch of folks at Boston's Logan airport a few months ago, no card though. They just shuttled us through the Precheck line.

Unfortunately, I travel with a CPAP machine and that still has to come out of the bag, even though they told me specifically not to remove anything from the bag. :rolleyes:

B

12. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Yes, and it also gets you a short line and an automated kiosk at Customs when returning to the country.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How'd they deal with the fingerprinting requirement?

B

14. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I honestly don't remember. I was, however, signed up for Clear a few years ago when living in Colorado, and was fingerprinted for that service. Perhaps TSA was able to import data from Clear?

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That makes sense. I guess also if they can pick people at random for PreCheck that the requirement is not so strict.

B

16. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I got a taste for it too yesterday flying out of Las Vegas. Completely chosen at random, there was a TSA agent who directed me to the precheck line.

Didn't have to do anything except take my belt off.

I travel nearly every week, I'm highly considering signing up.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Looks like I'll be signing up for Global Entry which I can do locally in Houston. I have no idea why TSA Precheck would only have 1 location currently setup. Maybe it has to do with the ability to handle groups and they don't think the offices that handle GE would be able to also handle TSA Precheck? Why not have a single trusted traveler program?

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I travel a lot and have it down to a science.

Slippers, sweat pants, hoody, wedding ring, watch.

Work clothes, wallet, keys, and laptop go in carry on.

It's a breeze getting through.

19. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

It's an evolution of Precheck. Initially, Precheck could handle only a low volume, so participation was restricted to invites handed out by airlines (almost always to the highest level of that airline's FF program) and Global Entry. It was simply a way to keep volume low.

Now, anyone can apply for Precheck and the Indiana center is the first of what will be many Precheck-specific approval centers. Longer term, TSA has said it wants 80% of travelers to be pre-approved, at least at some level, so expect to see many, many more centers opening.

For now, Global Entry is probably still the best/easiest way to get enrolled, plus you get the benefit of using the kiosks at Customs if/when you travel internationally. At some airports (like Chicago during busy times), the kiosks easily save you 30-45 minutes.

I belong to Clear, Precheck and Global Entry. Precheck is awesome; nearly always I am in and through security in under 30 seconds, including line waiting time. With 106 flights (so far) this year, it matters. But, even for a more casual traveler, once you go through Precheck I doubt many will want to go back to the standard line and process.

20. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

You can opt in through the airline. I get it about 50% of the time. I was going to suggest GE but you already picked up in that. I also fly out oh IAH, platinum with UA, but it's coming to an end next year with a job change.