TSA Proves itself useless

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dalton63841, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

2. rdowns, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This thread will end up in PRSI.

I've said it all along. The TSA and all the crap we got after 9/11 is mostly window dressing. Do we really expect professional security from $8 an hour TSA workers?

All we really did after 9/11 is create huge new bureaucracies and enrich our former Secretary of Homeland Security.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

But the next person in line was a 90 year old lady with knitting needles and a bottle of water and they caught those items while patting her down so we're safe! :rolleyes:

4. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Not technically, it's more $13.50 an hour plus full benifits....

5. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

How do you not know you're carrying a gun?
    I bet they arrested him once he reported it.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And that equates to about $27,000 a year. A crap job and a crap wage. You get what you pay for.

7. Dalton63841 thread starter macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

How sad am I that I would jump on a job that paid 13.50/hr with full benefits?

8. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    This is exactly why the TSA (Thousands Standing Around) needs to be eliminated. Airlines need to be in charge of their own security, not the government. It is in the airlines own interest for their airplanes not to be blown up, etc. Name one thing that the government does better than the private sector? (And spending money doesnt count :D)

Also, the US needs to take some lessons from Israeli airline security and ask questions to passengers as they go through security. Get rid of the thousands of useless people and get 1/3 of the amount of current staff that are specialized, trained individuals to asses people.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You willing to see airfare sky rocket because of the airlines having to pay for security?

That is what bugs me about privatize everything people. The cost of doing so is going to be passed on to us.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Before 9/11 the airlines WERE in charge of security, and they contracted out to the lowest bidder ;)

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I recall an airport in Florida somewhere gave the TSA (Traumatizing Sexual Abusers) the boot and placed in their very own security.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Not any more sad then someone who would insult a person willing to work. TSA may be crap but as far as the pay goes at least they are working. $13.50 an hour plus full benefits is nothing to laugh at especially with all the claims of unemployment flooding the nation.

13. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    While the actual price of the ticket may be higher, the actual cost will be less. (If you really want costs to decrease, corporate taxation needs to be eliminated.) If the government stopped paying for the TSA, then (in a world where politicians are smart), taxes would decrease, thus the amount that you would pay for an actual safe flight, would in the long run, be cheaper.

But I am fully aware that that eliminating the TSA from the spending budget will not decrease costs, it will only allow the government to spend the money on some other program. *sigh*

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:D

Yes, Big Government, like Nature, abhors a vacuum. :p

15. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Ummm. . . Things still cost money whether or not they're privatized. You still have to pay people's salary, for example. In either case (privatized vs. governmentized) the cost is passed on to us.

It's just that in the privatized case there is a mutual agreement to exchange money for services, so you can choose not to buy if you don't want to for some reason. In the governmentized case you are required to participate. Typically the governmentized cases spreads the cost around to those who don't use the service, so it can look like you're getting something for nothing.

16. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I do believe they are still required to abide by TSA policies, it's just not TSA workers. How that makes it any better, I don't know. I may be wrong, but I thought I had heard the same story.

17. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Google Red Team and TSA for lots of examples of TSA incompetence. To be fair, it is not that hard to get stuff through the x-ray scanners. If you lay a gun or knife flat and x-ray it then it stands out perfectly clear. But if you stand it on edge and put it behind something like the first version iPod (big HD and battery and steel case) then there is no recognizable shape to be flagged.

I would be for replacing TSA with something simpler. Smarter people than me could figure out the details. Some sort of statistical approach would likely be better. Some people would be selected for secondary checks through some sort of algorithm. Others would be selected through some sort of profiling (not as simple as racial profiling). Secondary scanning would involve some sort of physical inspection of the inside of the bag as well as some questioning.

Currently an attacker could figure out a nearly perfect way to get weapons through inspection because it is always done the same. The statistical approach would introduce more uncertainty. You couldn't predict whether you would get through the inspection or not.

18. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I can see how so much stuff gets by. I've noticed my carry on bag up on the scanner screen before. It's just a jumbled mess. I could not see how a screener would catch a weapon in there when they only look at X-Ray of a bag for one or two seconds.

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yes either way it costs money, but in the case of the government we are being taxed no matter what. It's just a matter what our tax money is being spent on. Our taxes didn't change when the TSA was created( hell they went down after the Bush tax cuts). The cost to fly will increase if the airlines are in charge of security.

Nothing will change if the airlines were in charge. They would still hire the same idiotic high school dropouts because they would go with the lowest bidder to do security. Why do you think regional airline pilots make ~$20,000 a year? Because the majors go with the lowest bidding regional airline. I would rather see airfare go up so we could pay these pilots better so they don't make the same wages as a McDonald's fry cook or these TSA thugs because don't you think they should be paid better then these idiots?

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Surely, they use some version of Face Recognition software now?? The screen is just for Human back-up.

And don't call me Shirley.

21. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I imagine there are economies of scale achieved by running it nationally rather than having each airline manage it's own.

The main trouble with a free market solution here is that these companies do not operate in a vacuum. People are willing to put the blinders on if they can save money—if a budget airline was seriously cutting corners on security you can bet they'd load up with passengers (zomg cheap tix!), but if someone decided to exploit their poor security suddenly it becomes everyone's problem when the plane crashes into something. I'd be the first to say we should cut back on anti-terror wild goose chasing, but I think there are very deep pitfalls in a private sector approach.

22. snberk103 macrumors 603

The problem with airport security being privatized is that the person in charge is under pressure by their employer, the airline or the airport, to not cost them too much money.

Imagine it's the holiday rush. Departure terminal is packed, the security area is short staffed and running at full tilt. Now imagine a screener, tired and working a 12 hour shift, thinks they saw a gun, but it was partially obscured by an iPad - or whatever. In that 1/2 second while they were thinking about it, the passenger has collected their bag and headed off. Screener calls over their supervisor and tells them that perhaps a weapon has gotten through. Supervisor has to make a decision.

There are two choices. 1) Clear the terminal and re-screen everybody. Call in the police to search the terminal for hidden weapons. Huge disruptions, and everybody is late. Airlines lose $tons$. 2) Supervisor listens sympathetically, considers the impact on the airlines and airport, and decides the screener was mistaken, and no further action is required.

Now ask yourself.... Do you want someone whose pay (bonuses) and career prospects hinge on how happy the airline or airport are with them making this decision ? Or someone who has no personal interest (TSA employee) in how happy the airline or airport is?

Though personally, I think the whole US model of airline security is whacked... Though also I think the US airline industry is too big for the Israeli system. Do recall that Israel has one International airport (OK - 3, but 90% of the traffic is to Ben Gurion). You only need security at the departure end of however many international flights LLBG can handle per day, and whatever small domestic traffic a dozen strips can generate. Also recall that the country is so small, you can drive tip to tip in about 5 hours - so domestic airline traffic is probably not huge.

23. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    I couldn't agree more with you! The current status of the ever-so-efficient-and-effective Dept. of Homeland Security makes even a failed terrorist attacked a success. We (as a country) put so much emphasis on terrorism that we have no choice but to lose. I personally, would like to see all public terror warnings eliminated (I think the color ones are now) in the hopes that society would get rid of the frenzy that has been created. There's this thing called the economy that needs fixing first IMHO.

While on the surface I agree with you, I think that we should be able to adapt a system similar. While copying outright is not the best bet, utilizing some profiling (not racial, but situational) has to be better than a fry cook looking at a television screen. I would sure hope that there is a person out there willing to work for the government and actually make a positive impact on airline security. If this were the case, I'd be all for keeping it within the government. Just as long as the TSA doesn't unionize. :D

24. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

TSA agents are nothing more than glorified ticket agents and baggage handlers. That's what they do. Total waste. And all being run by an incompetent broad who couldn't even secure the border of her state.

These TSA workers are in no way qualified in counter terrorism or anything. Give a part time GED worker a badge and this is what happens.

I have no respect for them at all.

25. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Army, navy etc...
    Mail
    National parks
    Space travel
    Environmental protection

I could go on...