TSA turns off scanners to avoid protest.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by StruckANerve, Nov 25, 2010.

1. StruckANerve, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

StruckANerve macrumors 6502

After most news outlets first reported that the protest was a bust and wait times were not bad at airports Gizmodo received tweets that the scanners were shut off and not being used.

http://gizmodo.com/comment/33032822

What a surprise that every major news outlet is completely silent on this story. This easily proves that the partisanship and fracturing of this country is all a setup. They would rather risk our safety than have us stand as one against the police state this country is turning into. This disgusts me.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What they need to do is have the software updated in the full body scanners to produce a generic body image and separate the foreign objects and display those objects on the generic representation. Can it be that hard to do unless they have oversold the capabilities of the scanners? If this is accomplished there won't be protests about "being seen", there won't be people refusing to be scanned and pat downs will become a mute point. Although with the combination of metal detectors and chemical sniffers, I question the need of a pat down.

3. rhett7660, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Speaking from the other side of this idea. If I wanted to do something I would be hiding it or strapping or ... well you know in those areas of concern. :D I don't have the answer nor an idea, but there should be something in place that is far less intrusive while maintaining the safety of those who are going to be flying.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've read this post over and over and I'm still having trouble figuring where you stand on this. Bipartisanship and fracturing are two opposing forces. And using scanners = police state, but not using them = risking our safety? No offense, but you seem to be arguing both sides of this situation.

Plus, Gizmodo posts are anecdotal. Do we know this is going on all over the country, and not just in spots? I'd like to see some factual reporting on this, not just "I stood in line," or "My brother said...".

And I doubt there is something going on that "every major news outlet" is silent on. Notwithstanding the fact that Fox isn't a real news outlet, would they really be in cahoots with CNN, MSNBC, CBS and the like to keep us in the dark?

5. Huntn, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Bravo.

Regarding the body scanners, it's been reported that a flight attendant was required to remove her prosthetic breast during screening. My Brother's girlfriend's father went through security. He had a heart valve replacement. They made him remove his shirt and show them his scar.

Now take a guess on what is going to happen after some terrorist threatens to hide explosives up their body cavities... From a civil rights standpoint I am against racial profiling, but unfortunately this is a good reason to allow responsible profiling based on citizenship. I am aware of no case where a U.S. citizen has tried to take down an airplane in a terrorist act. It is easy for them to tie our security into knots. We just need to come up with an effective way of dealing with it.

6. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

So now it's either be seen naked or get touched in your private parts. :rolleyes:

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Does being seen naked have your identity as part of the display?

Does the naked image of your face show any features that anyone might recognise??

So, what's the problem???

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Many including myself, don't consider this to be a reasonable policy to deal with the problem. Take away the real bodies and replace generic computer created bodies and then we are getting somewhere. Pat downs should not be a matter of routine, but only of extreme cases with rigid standards. They should be reserved for criminals, not the general traveling public who do not want some screener gazing upon their bodies.

9. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That addresses a leak in the system, not it's utter failure.

Doctors, nurses, medical students have all seen my junk, and I really don't care.

If it would stop someone from groping me, I would gladly step through a scanner instead.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

We still don't know for sure how safe the scanners are.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No thanks, I'd rather be groped than be given cancer....

13. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I flew out of SFO Tuesday night, no one was going through the body scanners or being pat down.

Most of my family expected that everyone had to go through the machines, which I found odd. I am flying back Monday, will see what it's like then.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

From the Daily Mail UK: Concerns over body scanner radiation may be 20x higher dose.

The Civil Aviation Authority, Department for Transport and Health Protection Agency insist that the technology is safe and say their tests show it would take 5,000 trips through the scanner to equal the dose of a single chest X-ray.

'There really is no other technology around where we're planning to X-ray such an enormous number of individuals. It's really unprecedented in the radiation world.'

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't need to be needlessly subjected to radiation, no thanks.

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The radiation from scanners is most likely to cause basel cell carcinoma which is treatable. But who really knows the long term effects.

To avoid radiation, try to avoid air travel in general. Also, the sun, cigarettes, tvs, and cell phones.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Already have that, but I am being somewhat facetious because my flying days are behind me.

I've been there, done that, and have no real interest in blowing my savings on unnecessary travel.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Preferably if it is by a good looking woman in a private room? :p

19. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

The question you asked was, "Does the naked image of your face show any features that anyone might recognise??" The link I provided answered that question.

20. gollum, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

gollum macrumors regular

Yes, and I have 2 scars from 32 stitches on my face to prove that in addition to a 3rd spot that was treated with a $500 prescription cream. Fortunately everything with all the follow-ups only cost me $300 cash since I didn't have insurance at the time.
    Since I have to air travel for work occasionally I think I'll just Opt Out.

21. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Just went through security at Columbus, they were using them here. Sent some young teenager through :rolleyes:

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You are being succinct today. ;)

Boy or girl?

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I was being slightly facetious.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Strip everyone. Orange jumpsuits for all. Chain everyone to the seat. No baggage allowed. Airline travel is now safe?