Tucker Carlson says main threat to your life comes from private sector not government

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

He said this at the National Conservatism Conference. I don’t have an exact quote. I am struggling to find the conservatism in this statement. Will he feel the same when a Democrat is president and Chuck Schumer is majority leader in the senate?

2. LordVic macrumors 603

yeah, that's a fairly non-conservative sort of statement. I also agree. Right now, our biggest issues regarding our everyday way of life, comfort, affordability, etc, is not really directly being driven up by our government actions, but, more often than not, inaction.

Allowing corporations, especially large international conglomerates to essentially curtail and avoid regulatory influence, while chasing the perverbial dragon of record revenues every quarter are doing more to hurt us than government activity.

Its the greedy corporatiosn moving manufacturing overseas to, decreasing quality, and lowering standards of living and employment for "margins" that are directly leading to our growing inequality. You can thank the "laissez faire" approach Reagan pushed hard and conservatism has kept pushing for the last 40 years. Even the "left wing" US politicians are fairly conservative and neo-liberal in allowing corporations to become modern day feudel lords, controlling both government interests and the overall health of the economy.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Tucker is right imo. But big government is also problematic.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

My guess is that he's referring to social media companies and "woke" companies.

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Other than maybe manufacturing oversees I doubt that’s what he’s referring to. Though who knows at this point. It’a possible some of Trump supporters are Democrats on most non-social issue/immigration issues. Let’s not forget many of the racists in the south were Democrats. It wasn’t until the late 60s and 70s with Nixon’s southern strategy that the parties really changed. Reagan and both Bushes were able to keep the more ugly elements from defining the GOP. Trump has turned that around and the Pat Buchanan wing now runs the show.

7. LordVic macrumors 603

From an outsider perspective, but as someone who gets doses of US media and news cause of proximity.

Both Republican and Democrats have shifted to the right of where they were even when I was a yout. And even further probably to completely different places than they were back int he 50's 60's. the spectrum is fairly fluid.

The Democrats now occupy the same Neo-liberal ideology that the Republicans were known for back in the 00's. especially prior to the "tea party" movement. The Republicans have shifted further towards the "right"... well, Authoritarian right and religious and social conservative ideology than they were in the 00's when they were the neo-liberal party of free trade and big business.

what's missing, is the anything "left" of conservative in the US politics. Even the democrats are fairly conservative.

But your right, even under Bushes and Reagan, the unsavoury, "deplorables" weren't being pandered too and were still afraid to show their faces. Now, They're the loudest sycopants who feel emboldened by the current administration to get louder and more demanding.

8. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

Unless I'm a criminal, there should be NO threat to my ability to live my life from the Gub'ment. The main purpose of a Government is to protect people so that people can live their life in relative security and peace, not to oppress people. I didn't sign up for a fascist state.

9. LordVic macrumors 603

WHile I agree wholy, whether your "left" or "right" on the political spectrum, anyone who honours freedom, should be fairly firm against authoritarian government regimes.

Question (not meaning it to be loaded or bias, just legit opinion gathering).

We are strictly apposed to government intervention and authority where unreasonable, unjust or pervasive.

Do we draw the same lines on mega conglomerates who have the ability to influence government direction in consumer hostile methods? I ask because if you look at todays hyper-capitalistic society, we tend to put a high bar to reach before we risk interfering with corporations, even if they are acting in consumer hostile ways.

10. vertical smile, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019

vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I probably would not use the term “moron”, but he does say some ridiculous things sometimes, imo.

He is strange, sometimes he would be making great points on a topic, and then just says something completely crazy.

When I think of wacko conservatives, he is one that pops in my brain.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

For government to be of value, it has to be bigger than any private business or else it just becomes a cog. If the government is too big, it is because it has allowed business to become too big.