Tug au revoir

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 29, 2017.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Nothing particularly controversial about this topic...just bemusement that French President Emmanuel Macron finally managed to out-Trump Trump with this handshake.

[​IMG]

(And a chance for me to make a really awful pun. ;) )

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I appreciate Macron's gesture. He was attempting to show trump that he isn't the only person who can throw their weight around and physically intimidate people.

3. Zenithal macrumors 601

There's a side profile of the Canadian PM and Trump where the PM has Trump tipping forward with his heels in the air. Rather amusing.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

There have been several fascinating articles on how European (and Canadian) leaders have responded to Mr Trump's idiocy in waging the war of the handshake.

Mr Trudeau and Mr Macron have dealt with it best, this is true.

5. Zenithal macrumors 601

The Shinzo Abe one was strange. He caressed and patted Abe's hand. There is also the Gorsuch handshake, which is a tug of war between two grown men.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The oddness re hand shakes doesn't begin and end with male leaders.

Let us recall to mind that weird hand-grabbing of Mrs May hand, which he refused to release, (a Scandinavian friend with whom I have served abroad wrote of his relief that he had "only" grabbed her hand) and the refusal to even shake the hand of Dr Merkel.

Ans then, there was the hilarious (and revealing) brisk brushing aside of his hand - without breaking stride - by his wife, Melania Trump, when he sought to clutch her hand on a number of recent occasions.

7. niploteksi macrumors regular

I'm waiting for someone to just step into his personal space instead of having their arms tugged around...

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That was a marvelously bad pun. I appreciate it.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

While I'm a sucker for bad puns (well done), I kinda frown upon threads like this. There's a risk of making Trump a caricature - which is easy enough...but there are serious consequences of him being President. Not trying to be a buzzkill, but perspective...

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The Gorsuch video appears elsewhere in the article I linked. It's bizarre. It's like he's trying to pull Gorsuch off his feet.

Glad you liked it. I don't often get handed such perfect material. :p

11. Scepticalscribe, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, candidly, I think this needs to be discussed.

Precisely because it is not trivial, despite appearances. It is about how you treat with, show respect to, deal with, address and engage with your colleagues, allies, interlocutors on the international circuit as part of international relations and classic diplomacy.

Offering a handshake as an attempt to inflict humiliation, rather than express a mutually respectful, non-threatening greeting, as is the tradition, calls for a set of responses that are compatible with courtesy, traditional diplomacy, yet which signal that such conduct and bullying behaviour will not be tolerated.

This was a test that Mr Trump failed dismally this last week in Europe; collegiality is beyond him. There are superiors, sycophants, servants and subordinates in Mr Trump's world. No equals.

Apparently, his loathsome character is such that he can only deal with - and feel easy in the company of - individuals who lead repellant autocratic regimes, but not democracies.

No, this is not caricature, this is a man who is so boorish, and such a bully and braggart, that he uses a formal, matter-of-course, polite, traditional, greeting - the handshake - and seeks to turn it into an attempted expression of dominance in a crude (think of primates) and deliberately offensive and preferably humiliating manner.

I would imagine that in senior government offices across Europe, this has been discussed, and strategies for dealing with it - so that one is not left looking weak, bullied, despised, or a fool, - explored.

Mr Macron put it well - and succinctly - when he said, "My handshake with him, it wasn't innocent. It is not the alpha or omega of politics, but a moment of truth," before remarking pointedly, "One must show that you won't make small concessions, even symbolic ones, but also not over-publicise things either."

Then, he added, "I don't believe in diplomacy through public criticism but through bilateral dialogue. I don't let anything pass. That is how you get respect."

I loved Mr Macron's grim smile as he shook hands with Mr Trump.

The bottom line is that when one leader behaves like a boorish bully, the others - to do honour and show respect to their own electorates - cannot be seen to acquiesce to this, or be cowed by it, not least because the dreadful and thuggish Mr Trump (he shoved Mr Dukanovic aside, remember?) would broadcast this as an example of weakness.

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Point well made.

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Despite the flippancy of my thread title, I have to agree with this post completely.

And this is the man who presents himself as a great deal-maker and negotiator.

Bull****. Everything this man does is about dominating and winning, which in turn is about feeding his fragile ego.

When people are being taught how to avoid your aggressive behavior -- from Hillary shunning Trump's hug to Macron giving him a dose of his own medicine -- you have a serious behavioral problem.

14. Zenithal macrumors 601

I missed those. Of course, I must defend the right of my POTUS to tug any male leader as much as he wants, as opposed to female leaders given his past commentary on women. Having said that, take this post with a healthy dose of sarcasm and cheeky albeit mean humor picking on the dimwit.