Tulsi Gabbard gives a keynote address to Muslims For Peace, Inc about love

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shyam09, Mar 8, 2017.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Link:

I thought it was pretty interesting and shared an important message on how we should percieve religion. Essentially, if we understand that all religion is inherently the same, and no religion is now "correct" then the other, it can help people understand religion a bit more clearly. It also allows them to weed out the good from the bad.

I'll expand on this tomorrow, I'm currently on mobile.

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

(I got to hear the first three or four minutes, then the video broke; maybe I'll be able to see it later)

I've figured that, at their cores, religions all attempt the same thing: to make the world better for their people. There's gotta be some "good" in each one, even if it's a challenge to find.

Where it gets rough is when they get out of their lanes and try to dictate what the others should do.

But is a religion worth following if it can't claim to be the best one? And to be "best", doesn't it have to declare the other religions as being unworthy?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Name one that hasn't made that claim.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I can't. And that's a problem.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

No religion can accept this, as religion itself (which is not spiritualism) deals with the concept of absolute Truth. What a religion can do is to accept that since religious discourse is intrinsic of the human experience other religions can contain parts of truth, that is they have the "intuition".

6. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

She seems like the only Democrat with their head on straight right now.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I admire her, I have to admit. I would vote her over 99% of GOP and DNC members. I might have some disagreement with some of her positions, but she is a straight thinker, action oriented, and pragmatic.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Religion is about power and control over people by the clergy.

9. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

... or whoever figures out how to control the clergy...

... or is used by the clergy to control those who are in the seat of power..

(the notion that "God said so" is an immensely powerful tool as long as the populace believes it to be true)