Turkey discloses US military positions, bases and forces, in Syria

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Pentagon warns of risks after Turkey discloses US forces in Syria

Washington (AFP) - The United States reacted angrily Wednesday after Turkey's state news agency disclosed the locations of American military posts in northern Syria, a move the Pentagon warned could put lives at risk. The Anadolu Agency (AA) published a report Monday detailing the 10 US military facilities' whereabouts and, in some instances, the number of special operations forces working there.

Opinion: This will almost certainly lead to deaths of US soldiers. Kick Turkey out of NATO already. This was no accident. No way it was an "accidental" slip. Wonder what POTUS will do in return? Invite Erdogan to the WH for ice cream social?

2. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Trump already approved the defunding of Syrian rebels against Assad and is willing to work with Russia so I don't see this being of concern to Trump TBH. Perhaps if they take out a few of our troops with Russian artillery he might view his butt buddy Putin in a different light.

3. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68030

Solomani

It's absolutely a concern for Trump if this leads to crazed jihadists having better intel to target American soldiers.

4. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

But you''re missing a big part in all this, Trump's only concern is Trump. If terrorist start targeting our troops, they'll find a way to spin it and blame Hillary or whoever else he decides to throw under the bus that day.

5. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68030

Solomani

Ok. I can't refute you there.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you mean they have NOT been targeting our soldiers? o_O

withdraw, make it simple.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

8. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

While I am a firm believer that we have no business being there, this points up the fact that Turkey is not a friend of ours and hasn't been since Erdogan took office. Withdraw our troops from Syria and Iraq and let the locals handle their problems, (even though we caused and created them).

9. LordVic macrumors 601

While I agree with the sentiment of "leave them to destroy themselves", history has told us a different lesson when the west gets involved.

Most of the current mid-eastern hot spots are directly the result of western meddling. Afghanastan, Iraq, Syria, Korea. The list goes on. Most places that the US got involved with, especially out of self interest (PRoxy wars, oil), they've "pulled out" and left the region so destabalized that it's made way for fundamental rulers to come take advantage of the power vacuum

I seriously don't have any real solution, other than the West should probably not meddle in foreign countries in the first place. Unfortunately, the areas are already thoroughly messed with.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

when we have to BRIBE them with BILLIONS in "aid", do we have any real "allies"???

11. darksithpro macrumors regular

Our government needs to stop the sale of F-35 to Turkey. They cannot be trusted.

12. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I highly doubt that would happen. On the other hand, ISIS may well use this info.

13. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

There is a lot to be said about meddling versus not meddling. I hate the fact the President has to shake hands and be cordial with some truly despicable people over there. Unfortunately, we rely on oil. Hopefully that will end in my lifetime.

14. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The best that borrowed money can buy. It needs to stop, too. We shouldn't be providing aid to anyone, other than, perhaps, true humanitarian aid in times of disaster.

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Don't worry trump does not mind.

16. jerwin macrumors 65816

what mind is that?

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Isn't this pretty much what Trump did to Israel when he disclosed classified info from them to the Russians?

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

While I agree with you I must point out that Korea is not in the Middle East.