Turkey leading an Islamic Reformation?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Feb 26, 2008.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

- BBC News Link

Interesting. More preparations for further integration into the EU? Or maybe an attempt to become a 'leading' Islamic nation?

2. elcid macrumors 6502

I think both. I think that after 1400 years it is due to be completly looked at. We had the Reformation, it is required to get down to core beliefs again. Doubt it will do much good in the middle east though.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, the Reformation didn't happen overnight you know.

Since Islam has no central authority like Catholicism, Orthodoxy and many Protestant sects, I doubt it will have a huge impact outside Turkey.

I'm sure the wacko Wahibis will denounce it as much if not more than they do Judaism.

4. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Wacko Wahabi's! I'm using that phase again!

The Whacko's would probably use it as a shabby justification to kill other Muslims though.

5. Queso macrumors G4

I've never understood adherence to the Hadith. In the Qu'ran Allah makes it quite clear to Mohammed that what's in the book isn't to be added to, yet Muslims the world over then go and follow all this stuff that's tacked on.

If it walks like herecy and talks like herecy it ought to be burned at the stake. Right? :D

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think it's excellent, and could happen in no more appropriate place.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Interesting developments. As far as the "reformation" commentary, you could say this is more of a "counter-reformation" of Islam.

I would characterize the austere, strict-interpreter Wahabists and movements such as the Taliban and the larger grass-roots politicalization of Islam as a reformation of sorts.

Of course, as attractive as that movement can seem - much like the Lutherans and Calvinists of times past, eventually people will stop reacting against something and realize that they don't like the new system they've opted into.

Again, as to the point of the OP, this seems like the best kind of development for the synthesis of Islam into the modern world. Perhaps we should try this on the Evangelical movement.

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, it is great they are going back and rediscovering the more logical and reasonable roots.

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Not my religion and not my country, but nevertheless I am a bit skeptical of the idea of a religious reformation undertaken on the recommendation of a government committee.

10. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I hate to say it but I have a feeling that this will be looked on as influence from the West and denounced as heresy.

At least this "reform" is from inside an Islamic country or it would be entirely shot down.

~Crawn

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Most Turks will see it as continuing in the great tradition of Kemal Atatürk.

12. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

They'll say this no matter what. Fundamentalists are like that basically by their own definition.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I understand, and I greatly respect people who are capable of sincerely operating within a wider purview than their own immediate self-interest if indeed that be the case.

In fact, I hesitate to even mention it given the obvious value of a sincere reform movement, but all I'm saying is, if "Ankara School" Islam ends up with a prominent hadith along the lines of "I heard the Prophet say, 'vote AKP,'" don't say I didn't warn you.