Turkey: Saudi Diplomats Accused of Murdering Opposition Journalist In Turkey

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
And these are the people our government is in bed with, supports and defends. All this journalist, who was a critic of the worst aspects of the Saudi government, did was go to his consulate. As a result of his visit he was disappeared. At least the Turks are investigating, even thought they won't be able to actually do anything. The time is long past when the US should have broken all relations with these terrorist thugs.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/turkey-launches-probe-saudi-journalist-disappearance-181006144026186.html

Turkish authorities believe that prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who disappeared four days ago after entering Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul, has been killed.

"The initial assessment of the Turkish police is that Mr Khashoggi has been killed at the consulate of Saudi Arabia in Istanbul. We believe that the murder was premeditated and the body was subsequently moved out of the consulate," a Turkish official told Reuters news agency on Saturday.

The suspected assassination of the leading critic of the Saudi regime came four days after he entered the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul on Tuesday.

Earlier on Saturday, sources told Al Jazeera that a delegation of 15 Saudi officials arrived in Turkey the day Khashoggi, 59, disappeared.

"The Saudi officials flew into Istanbul on two different flights on Tuesday," Al Jazeera's Istanbul correspondent Jamal Elshayyal quoted his sources as saying, adding that it was not clear if the Saudi delegation consisted of security or diplomatic officials.

The revelations came as Turkey widened its investigation into the disappearance of the dissident Saudi journalist after Saudi Arabia failed to back its claim that he left the consulate on Tuesday.

Turkey's ruling party also said it will "uncover" the details surrounding Khashoggi's vanishing, adding that the country's sensitivity on the issue was at the "highest level".

"The condition of the lost journalist, details on him and who is responsible for this will be uncovered," AK Party spokesman Omer Celik told reporters at a party summit chaired by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Diplomatic row
On Friday, Turkey's foreign ministry summoned Saudi Arabia's ambassador to Ankara over the issue.

Later that day, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) said Saudi authorities would allow Turkey to search its consulate.

"We will allow them to enter and search and do whatever they want to do ... We have nothing to hide," MBS told Bloomberg on Friday.

Saudi Arabia invited a group of journalists into the Istanbul mission on Saturday, in an effort to show that Khashoggi was not on the premises.

"I would like to confirm that...Jamal is not at the consulate nor in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and the consulate and the embassy are working to search for him," consul-general Mohammad al-Otaiba told Reuters.

Khashoggi had entered the consulate's premises at around 1pm (10:00 GMT) on Tuesday to secure paperwork in order to marry his Turkish fiancee, identified only as Hatice A.

Hatice said she waited outside after Khashoggi entered the Saudi consulate on Tuesday and never re-emerged. Following the initial announcement by Turkish sources of Khashoggi's killing, she tweeted in Arabic her refusal to believe that is the case.

Rights groups had called on Saudi Arabia to verify Khashoggi's whereabouts, with Human Rights Watch calling on Turkey to deepen its investigation into the case, saying if Saudi Arabia had detained Khashoggi without acknowledging it, his detention would constitute an enforced disappearance.

Khashoggi's suspected killing may further strain relations between Turkey and Saudi Arabia, who are on opposite sides of the multination blockade of Qatar and other regional crises.

Khashoggi, who had been living in self-imposed exile in the US for over a year, was one of the best-known critics of the Saudi government's reform programme under the stewardship of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

In his writings for the Washington Post, the Saudi commentator had slammed Saudi policies towards Qatar and Canada, the war in Yemen, and a crackdown on dissent and the media in the kingdom.

Reactions: PracticalMac

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
There's still some information that's up in the air. As the article notes, it's possible that the Saudis "forcibly disappeared" Khashoggi, and that he's still alive. And, I'm unsure about relying on Turkish authorities, who have their own diplomatic game running.

That said, the murder of a dissident journalist is a monstrous act. That the Saudis appear to be aping the Russians by killing their own citizens on foreign soil is unsurprising really considering the state's support of Al Qaeda and human rights abuses in Yemen.

I also suspect that the Trump administration will issue some limp-wristed complaint that the Crown Prince can blow off because we can't upset Raytheon's bottom line.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
And not a peep from the Trump administration that the Saudi's did this to a Washington Post journalist.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
And not a peep from the Trump administration that the Saudi's did this to a Washington Post journalist.
Trump and a few others are not too big of fans of The Washington Post. Now had Fox News owned that paper and he not been a Saudi Muslim there would be outrage

https://www.politico.com/magazine/amp/story/2018/04/04/trump-amazon-washington-post-jeff-bezos-217774

Looks like he was set up

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/08/jamal-khashoggi-turkey-search-black-van-carried-body-saudi-arabia

Last edited:
Reactions: RootBeerMan

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
This is pretty bad. Not liking this new leader too much. Killing someone and then dismembering their body parts because of what they said or difference of opinion is a big “NO NO”.

This is not what Saudi Arabia has been known for over the years and not something Saudis have been known to do.

I can’t even recall if Saddam or Ghadafi ever had anyone killed and dismembered in their overseas Embassy

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/world/middleeast/saudi-jamal-khashoggi-dissent.html

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This is pretty bad. Not liking this new leader too much. Killing someone and then dismembering their body parts because of what they said or difference of opinion is a big “NO NO”.

This is not what Saudi Arabia has been known for over the years and not something Saudis have been known to do.

I can’t even recall if Saddam or Ghadafi ever had anyone killed and dismembered in their overseas Embassy

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/world/middleeast/saudi-jamal-khashoggi-dissent.html
If true, it's certainly brazen. That said, Saudi Arabia under MBS has gotten even more craven than they were before. They straight up threatened to "9/11" Canada.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
brazen indeed......it's like they did it at the consulate just to show that they could get away with it
I’m not sure they’re that cartoonishly evil. I think they just legitimately thought (again this if the allegations are true, which I believe) they would get away scott free.

Your phrasing would imply that they meant to send a message, but that would require them broadcasting it rather than it being reported on by others. Honestly though, ever since it’s inception the Saudi kingdom has been deeply involved with intelligence agencies all over the world so who can really say?

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
brazen indeed......it's like they did it at the consulate just to show that they could get away with it
The Saudi's see themselves as immune to any repercussions for anything the do. They skated on 9/11 and are currently killing thousands in Yemen. No-one's even raising an eyebrow. Everyone will excuse their barbarity because of their oil.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Knowing the Saudi gov, I fully believe it was an assassination.

Because they are a tyrannical nation who can do anything they want to those on their lands. #45 loves that.
Iran has a better rights and legal system than Saudi.

Jason Honer

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Boston MA
Knowing the Saudi gov, I fully believe it was an assassination.

Because they are a tyrannical nation who can do anything they want to those on their lands. #45 loves that.
Iran has a better rights and legal system than Saudi.
You’re saying that Trump loves murdering opposition members? When has he ever supported that? How can you say this in good conscience, even jokingly?

Reactions: PC_tech

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
You’re saying that Trump loves murdering opposition members? When has he ever supported that? How can you say this in good conscience, even jokingly?
He didn't say that at all. But the evidence is clear that Trump admires, and probably wishes he could emulate, them.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/03/trump-xi-jinping-dictators/554810/
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-0322-putin-trump-20180321-story.html
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-dictators-20170502-story.html
https://www.npr.org/2017/05/02/526520042/6-strongmen-trumps-praised-and-the-conflicts-it-presents

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
He can say it, because in the scenario you’ve just conjured up he did. As in, you willfully misread his post.

It’s very clear Trump likes authoritarians, from the Saudis, Duerte, Putin, etc. he admires the “strongman” mentality. That said, while it’s a bad *look*, the US has always supported tyrants when it fits our agenda so there’s nothing unique about Trump’s policy. The guy just isn’t capable of feigning indignation like other presidents.

Reactions: stylinexpat

Jason Honer

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Boston MA
From the first paragraph of the first article:

“The Chinese Communist Party’s attempt to allow President Xi Jinping to rule indefinitely set off harsh criticism in China, as well as international opprobrium. But the power grab appears to have at least one fan: Donald Trump.

“He’s now president for life. President for life. No, he’s great,” Trump said of Xi at a lunch and fundraiser at his Mar-a-Lago estate, according to CNN, which obtained a recording of the remarks. “And look, he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll have to give that a shot some day.”

Context, of course, is everything. Trump may well have been joking (CNN hasn’t yet released the audio of the remarks), but his comments about Xi’s hold on power in China, a Communist dictatorship, add to Trump’s long history of offering support or even outright praise for dictators and strongmen the world over.”

So right there in their own article they declare that this may be inaccurate as he may have been joking, yet they print the article anyway with the very misleading headline. Ugh. Trump is no stranger to tongue-in-cheek comments either. This is very far fetched to me. When I see Trump eating hotdogs at a baseball game with a brutal dictator I will start to get worried.

874B4EFB-B50E-4088-BA0C-D0F57490A346.jpeg

Reactions: PC_tech

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
Khashoggi case: CCTV disappears from Saudi consulate in Turkey

Security camera footage was removed from the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and Turkish staff were abruptly told to take a holiday on the day the dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi disappeared while inside the building, Turkish authorities have claimed....
the Guardian

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
One thing puzzles me about this:

Does it really take a fifteen man hit team to kill one middle-aged journalist?

My experience planning premeditated murders is pretty much zero. But fifteen guys seems like a lot. One or two to distract the guy, another to wield the knife, gun, garrote, or poison gas cylinder. Maybe another two or three to carve up the body and wipe down the furniture. A couple to drive the getaway vans.

Sorry if any levity was implied. Not intended.

This is a very frightening development. A terrifying reminder of the state of international lawlessness that has arisen. A shocking reminder of what I thought was the distant past.

For shame, for shame that a purported US ally should have carried out this heinous act.