Turn by Turn and Music over Bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chele519, Sep 27, 2012.

1. chele519 macrumors regular

If I have my phone connected thru Bluetooth and play music, when a call comes in, the music stops until the call ends then resumes. Is there a way if I’m playing music but also using Maps to have the turn by turn directions audio override the music like the phone call does? I cannot connect using the lightning cable because I get a USB read error and if I use the aux cable, I don’t get the steering wheel controls for phone calls. I get the turn by turn audio thru Bluetooth if the music is off but don’t want to just listen to silence while waiting for the next direction. I called Apple and they said they didn’t think there was a way to do it but were going to escalate the issue and would let me know if they had an answer. They also said they could not say if the adapter would support the steering wheel controls. Just wondering if anyone here knows if it is possible to have both running and get audio from both.

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

when i have music playing mine just lowers the volume on the music, and the turn by turn speaks louder. you can adjust the volume of the turn by turn voice under settings > maps

3. chele519 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks, I will try that. I thought I had it loud enough but maybe not.

4. chele519 thread starter macrumors regular

Meant to ask, are you playing over bluetooth or the aux/usb connection? Apple said it would work thru the aux jack but then I would lose the steering wheel controls.

5. vastoholic, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I just mentioned this in another thread. I'm using BT as well and mine lowers the volume of the music to let the voice talk over it. I don't use my steering wheel controls anyway but the guy who installed my receiver said I would lose that functionality over Bluetooth unless I bought a different type of receiver I think.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I have a 30 pin connector in my car so it became unusable with the advent of the lightning connector. I bought a Bluetooth adapter that I can plug the 30 pin connector into that transmits a bluetooth signal my iPhone can connect to.

I'm able to listen to music and hear my turn by turn directions at the same time. When a direction is spoken, the music lowers and Siri's voice speaks over it. I lose my charging functionality but I have another car charger I can use anyway.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

bluetooth.

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I bluetooth stream music in my car. When the turn by turn kicks in, the music volume goes down, I hear what it has to say, then the music kicks back in. Also same goes for any notification. As long as my phone isn't on silent, I hear all the notifications over the speakers as well. Works perfect.

9. chele519 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried this again on the way home from work tonight and it worked fine this time. I didn't really do anything differently but this morning the music was playing on the phone before I started the car so maybe it had something to do with that. Thanks for all the replies though. If I hadn't posted, I would have just assumed it wasn't possible and given up.

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Which one did you buy? I can't seem to find a good one. They all sound really tinny and compressed. But BT over my Sony Headphones sound great...

11. Allenz macrumors member

Can you tell me which bluetooth adapter you bought? Is the sounds quality good and can you still control changing songs and navigating playlists thru the steering wheel or dash buttons with it?

Thanks a lot in advance

12. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27104346128...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

No you can't control the controls through the steering wheel.

13. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Same here. Even when I get a phone call, my music lowers and BT informs me I have an incoming call. Same goes for when I'm using turn by turn navigation, the music will again lower and give me the next directions. Once the spoken directions are done, the music will come back on.

15. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It sounds the same way it did when i was plugging it in.

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro