Turn by Turn killing battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pmontanarella, Dec 28, 2012.

1. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I've recently used my iPhone 5 for turn-by-turn directions on a trip (and back). I noticed it go really hot but I guess it's normal while charging and with GPS on. Could the battery have been damaged by the heat? Also if so, would Apple replace it? The phone was on with turn-by-turn for no more than 10 hours total.

Thanks,
    Pietro

2. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Don't worry, well within operating temperatures. But should avoid leaving the phone on the dash under the sun. And if the iPhone overheats, it will power itself off.

3. pmontanarella thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply,

Good to hear!

Pietro

4. aaronrs7 macrumors member

I noticed this too. It doesn't matter what navigation app you use, the iphone will always get warm and the battery life will always go down the toilet. When I'm using nav, I have to have my phone plugged in so the battery does not die. That way it plays the directions through the car speakers, which is always a plus. I've also noticed when I stream pandora in the car, it gets hot as well. I'm guessing that this is ok since nearly everyone I know uses navigation and music streaming.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yes having turn by turn on for 10hours will drain the battery but it won't cause any issues with the battery.

6. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I use Google Maps navigation and stream Pandora together all the time. I always keep the phone on the charger. It does get warm. Perfectly normal. It still charges to 100% pretty quickly.

7. meistervu macrumors 65816

I discovered that with Apple Maps I could turn off the screen when on long trip navigation (home button) and it will turn the screen on when there is a turn, greatly reducing battery drain.