Turn down the instant rage!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Mar 2, 2013.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

I thought this was a fantastic article about todays "push-click-outraged" culture.

I think too often too many people try and blow up every little thing as a big deal. It's also much easier to do today. It's kind of like those internet Facebook petitions that go around. Yeah 600,000 people don't like that somebody had something happen. Well, what are you going to do about it?

Truth.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Seth Macfarlane is amazing. I'm guessing the outraged people never saw family guy, one of the most offensive shows in history.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Make that a popular TV show and then you would see real change.

4. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

I think the big problem is due to very fact people can post to Twitter and Facebook on cellphones. And that means reactions to ANYTHING happening extremely quickly, and that "instant commenting" drives people crazy.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The internet (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) certainly enable this sort of thing. But its really part of a bigger issue.

How many times have you seen a vehicle plastered with one of those "Support our Troops" bumper stickers.? Its a nice thought, but I often ask myself in what tangible way does the driver of that car live up to the sentiment: Do they donate to the USO? Would they be willing to pay more in taxes for military pay and benefits? Do they volunteer down at their local VA center? Maybe some people do - but I'd bet most don't.

And thats the problem with so much of the "outrage" we see today: It can be expressed with pretty much zero marginal cost. We can be "outraged" over Seth McFarlane's jokes; "outraged" over whatever bad thing is happening in Darfur or Syria; "outraged" over Global Warming or Hydraulic Fracking. But we won't actually do anything (aside from clicking on an internet button, or slapping a bumper sticker on our car) about any of these things. Most of the "outrage" isn't really about solving a problem or ending injustice. Its simply people making a statement of self-affirmation: "I'm outraged over XYZ bad thing - therefore I'm a good person".

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Couldn't have said it better myself.

With regards to your comments on taxes, a lot of people in this country think that everything is somehow magically free, so therefore they don't need to pay or they believe they shouldn't have to pay any taxes.