Turn off 3g while asleep?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by njean777, Sep 1, 2012.

1. njean777 macrumors 6502

Hey guys/girls is there any way for me to stop the iphone from switching to 3g every time it goes to sleep? I turn off cellular when I am at home due to not wanting this behavior to go on, but is there any way for me to toggle cellular on only when I leave wifi hotspots (without having to go into settings all the time)? I ask because with my 4s it seems to use a lot of data and I always fully use my data each month on Verizon and don't want to pay overage fees...

2. Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data : Off

Also look at Auto3G in Cydia.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

I don't know about the answer to your question but I would recommend leaving 3G on all the time. iMessage requires 3G or wifi, so if you goto edge mode, you will miss messages. Also, if your phone is checking email, which takes a ridiculously long time on edge, if someone calls you during that email or push notification check, that call will not ring.

4. njean777 thread starter macrumors 6502

What I want is it to go on Wifi when I go to work or home instead of using 3G at all. When I am out I want 3g on, but not when I am in a spot with Wifi.

5. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

When your connected to wifi your phone doesn't use 3G for data. So your dilemma is already answered: when near wifi, use it. When your not, you'll use your 3G data.

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

Right. The iPhone will automatically reconnect to known wifi networks and uses wifi over cell when wifi is available automatically. It still will show connected to cell next to the wifi status but in fact does use the wifi connection for data.

7. aztooh macrumors 6502a

If he misses messages while not connected to 3G or Wifi, that's an epic fail in the system. An iMessage defaults to a text message if it can't be sent/received over data connection.

8. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

9. njean777 thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing I have been told though is that while on wifi when my phone is asleep it turns off wifi and defaults to 3g while asleep. I want it to stay on wifi and not default to 3g when asleep. I don't want to keep on having to toggle the 3g on and off, I was just wondering if there was a way I could not have to do that.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Who told you that?

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

He worded his OP very poorly. What he meant to ask is if there is a way to prevent WiFi from turning off when the phone goes into standby.

This is actually a very old question and has been an issue for a while. I'm fairly certain that the iPhone does turn off WiFi when asleep in order to save battery. But I don't recall if this ever changed or if we ever found a workaround. Perhaps someone besides me has a better memory of this issue.

Edit: Seems there were some JB solutions.

12. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I doubt that the phone is using a ton of data while asleep. OP, what data plan are you on? I'm betting it is tiny, or that you are using data in other ways that perhaps haven't occurred to you yet.

13. njean777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Google and a bunch of tech blogs.... it seems to me that every time I wake up my iphone it says 3g then switches back to wifi if I do not have my cellular data turned off.

I am on the 2gb plan for 30$ a month. I use the same apps I had on ATT and I never once went over my limit on ATT, heck, half the time I rarely reached 75% and I use the phone the exact same way. I do stream podcast occasionally but that never was a problem on ATT. I check Reddit every so often (like twice a day), and receive emails. I rarely ever watch youtube while on 3g either.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Turning 3G off or data off wont save you much data while the phone sleeps.
    If you get a push notification, imessage or such while your iphone is in sleep mode and wifi has been turned off to save battery those notifications are very very insignificant when it comes to data consumption.
    In other words that's not the reason your iphone is using lots of carrier data and will not save you not even 1MB a month by accomplishing something like that. Your usage habits is what's causing you to use up your carriers monthly allowance and pay overages.

15. njean777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you explain to me then how I used it the same exact way with ATT and never even got close to going over? Unless an app is using data that I dont know about, I have no clue how I am using so much data at all.

At school I have it on Wifi, home: wifi, work:wifi. Even then I still somehow magically use 75% or more of my data, how is this happening? I am literally on Wifi 75% of my day.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its gotta be something.
    On a JB device there are packages that can track your usage and tell you what app or service is using up your daily or monthly data and how much etc...
    Are you using itunes match? Do you have icloud setup for contacts, calendars, photo uploading with photostream etc...
    Try turning off send diagnostics and usage data to apple also.
    How much data are you using that you cannot account for?
    How much was your usual carrier usage per month before and how much now? How much does your monthly data plan include?

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

iCloud back-up? But I think that only occurs when plugged in and on wifi...

18. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

The iPhone is definitely always on wifi when you connect to it, asleep or not. Otherwise there would be practically no point. That's how the phone backs up to iCloud when you plug it in. Or anything else for that matter.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I assume by "when you connect to it" means when it's connected to a charger? Otherwise your statement is false.

20. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I was doing some poking around and no one seems to have a concrete answer most are saying that it's only when connected to a charger. But that wouldn't make sense seeing as my MacBook can always see my iPhone. And I can always get FaceTime calls on my iPhone. Even if the phone has been locked.

Something's not adding up

21. njean777 thread starter macrumors 6502

No iTunes match, iCloud is set up for contacts/photostream/mail/find my iPhone but that is it. I backup to my computer, diagnostics have always been turned off. I do have email on push, but I have always had it on that. The phone probably uses at least 50% I cannot account for. I mean I stream maybe 2 podcasts a week, the rest are downloaded on wifi.

On AT&T my usual was about 1gig per month maybe 1.3 if I was using
    It a lot. Never 1.95% or 1.99% like it is on Verizon. Mind you I had a 4 instead of a 4s on AT&T. I do not use Siri either. My plan is the 2 gig for 30$ a month.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Photo stream would do it. Turn it off for a while to see if that makes a difference. If you snap lots of pics it can eat up your data quick.

23. kannesss macrumors 6502a

yep. just settings, turn off the 3G and enjoy the wonders of EDGE