Turn off both LTE and 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dasx, Oct 8, 2012.

1. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

OK here's the thing. Let's say I just have a 10% left of battery and need to be sure the phone's gonna live for at least 4 more hours. First thing I'd do is turn LTE off so it switches to 3G. Before LTE this same button allowed the user to turn 3G off so it would be just using 2G. (GPRS or EDGE that is).

Any way to turn both LTE and 3G off? (So I could save even more battery).

Thanks!

P.S: Pics added of both options.

Attached Files:

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

That switch came out a while ago. The 4S doesn't have it either. Dropping down to EDGE wouldn't get you much, and may even use more energy. 3G radios are generally as efficient (or more efficient) than EDGE radios now, and at the slower speed, the radio would have to be running at full power for longer to pull the same amount of data down.

3. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Don't think there's a way to explicitly turn 3G off on the iPhone 5. If I had 10 percent battery left and wanted to make sure the phone lasted another four hours, I'd probably turn on Airplane Mode. If you don't want to do that, looks like you'll need to find power.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Why not just turn on Airplane mode & turn the brightness all the way down?

5. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

You see the Cellular data tab? Yea? Turn that Off.

6. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

When i got my iPhone 5 it had a 3G toggle. Then I accepted a carrier update and it replaced it with an LTE toggle. We dont have LTE here in the UK yet and when we do it wont be very widesprerad.

Sooooo I restored the iPhone 5, but this time I didnt accept the carrier update so the 3G toggle is back, and the battery life has shot up (probably because the 3G in our area sucks and it had to keep switching radios all the time).

Besides Im connected to wifi at home and work for most of my day so having 3G left on is like leaving the TV on all day when you arent in the room.

7. dasx thread starter macrumors 65816

dasx

Well, my point being if you have 3G enabled but don't have a good 3G signal (or none) the phone would keep looking for one or a better one and therefore decrease battery life.

I guess that's the case as that's what's been said about LTE. Low signals make the phone waste energy looking for a better one or continuously jumping from LTE to 3G.

Do you think they removed the option of turning 3G off because now the phone knows how to handle that better? I mean, when I'm on Wifi I can't see if I'm on 3G or 2G but I guess the phone will keep looking for 3G if it loses the signal, right?

Well, Airplane mode would be the way to go if I just wanted to use it as an iPod, but my point was being able to use it as a regular iPhone but consuming the least possible. :)

Didn't I say I wanted 2G data such as GPRS or EDGE? Yes? DUH

Out of curiosity. Did you try switching LTE off? Did it actually do nothing? (Maybe it'd turn 3G off as that's all you'd have)

My iPhone 5 has now the Enable 3G toggle. I usually turn 3G off when I'm on Wifi too, mainly when I'm moving in buildings that make the phone continuously jump from 2G to 3G. That drains the battery badly...

No carrier update has appeared on my phone yet... But I probably won't update if that's one of the things I lose!!

8. dasx thread starter macrumors 65816

dasx

Just checked two friend's iPhones 4S running iOS6. Both have the Enable 3G toggle. ;)

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No necessarily true. Back when the 3G came out it was shown that leaving 3G on when you were connected to WiFi had minimal effect on battery life when compared to turning it off. The phone isn't using the 3G radio when it has a WiFi signal. To amend your TV analogy, having 3G on is like leaving your TV plugged in, but off, when you aren't in the room.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

U won't get MMS messages if u turn off cellular data. Of course u can get iMessage pics via wifi.

But u won't get MMS pics from non iOS users even on wifi since mms requires cellular data.

11. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Neither of the ones I have in the house here have it. I wonder if it's carrier-dependent.

12. dasx thread starter macrumors 65816

dasx

I'm pretty sure it is then. These two are Vodafone in Spain.

13. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It's up to the carrier. Here in the states one of our GSM carriers[AT&T] removed the 3G toggle function starting with the 4S. All previous iPhone models still have the toggle, but from the 4S on it has been removed.

14. dasx thread starter macrumors 65816

dasx

I wonder why that is. I mean, why do a 4 have it while a 4S doesn't? :confused: