Turn off Data and 3G when on Wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by muttonhead411, Jul 31, 2011.

1. muttonhead411 macrumors member

Dear forum,

is there a cydia app that automatically turns off Data and 3G when the iPhone connects to a wireless network?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Why would you want to turn that off?

3. westcoastin macrumors member

My guess is that he wants to try and conserve battery life.

In regards to a Cydia app, I am not sure, but Activator allows for quickly disabling/enabling 3g and data, however it must be done manually.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

SBSettings isn't automatic but it's pretty damn quick.

5. muttonhead411 thread starter macrumors member

I would like to turn it off because my carrier automatically drops my wifi connection and uses 3G whenever the wifi speed is lower than 3G's speed.

I downloaded a large app overnight while asleep, trusting the wifi connection to stay on. But since my comp was doing parallel downloads at the same time, the speed dropped below 3G and my carried dropped wifi for its 3G network.

Next morning, my phone line was barred, and I was hit with a data bill 1/3 the price of my iphone 4. True story.

I know there is at least one Cydia app that has this capability, but I cant recall it for the life of me...

6. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

What? Where are you located?

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I don't think a carrier can automatically drop a wifi connection??

What part of the world are you in? :confused:

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

You could turn it off easily using SBSettings. I could be wrong but wouldn't that mean no receiving phone calls or texts? What does "data" mean to SBSettings?

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Lies,not possible for them to drop your WIFI :rolleyes:
    You probably lost the WIFI due to interference w/ your computer and it went 3G because it lost the signal not because they turned it off...
    You can turn data off in settings....

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not automatic, but if you're doing something like this again just turn on Airplane Mode and then turn Wifi back on while leaving Airplane Mode on at the same time.

11. muttonhead411 thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys...

I'm not lying. This was told to me by the IT guy from my telco when i called to clarify the reason for barring my phone. I'm from Malaysia, under Maxis. I've done some tests on my phone too and sure enough, they do drop my wifi if the internet is not working. In fact, when I go to the help point, these are the first things they run through with me. Their recommended practise to all their iphone customers is to please turn of 3g and data when on wifi (dumb... i know)

Remember when you connect a new phone into itunes it downloads a carrier file and settings? maybe thats the culprit. I dont know but its a possibility.

Anyway, even if my wifi connection was dropped, i'm pretty sure my download would have stopped anyway, since there is a disconnection prior to latching to the 3g network. But since my download didnt stop, i suspect there is a mechanism in place to facilitate the dropping of wifi and continuing on 3g.

I'd like to automate the process of automatically turning off 3g when on wifi. I cant remember but was it one of the cydia apps that allowed apps that have wifi restrictions to also connect through 3G (Facetime is an example)

Any idea guys?

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I'm not saying you are lying; I'm saying they are lying to you. The network package shouldn't influence how your WIFI works.

I would say use SBsettings to turn off 3G w/ one click

13. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I don't think you're lying either, but that doesn't make sense. It's in their best interest for you to use wifi. I don't get it. Besides, how do they measure the speed of wifi and 3G as they change regulalrly? Doesn't make sense.

14. Brutos macrumors newbie

Surley if you left your phone on over night it would go into standby and then switch off the wifi ?

15. garts macrumors newbie

^ This.

After being in standby mode for a while, wi-fi switches off so you don't waste your battery. The same thing happened to me...thankfully I was on a PAYG sim and the little credit I had ran out. I now use SBSettings to turn off cellular data when I'm at home.

If you are downloading things overnight, even if you disable cellular data the wi-fi will still cut out sometime after the iPhone locks itself. Your best bet is to do Settings>General>Auto-Lock and set it to never and hook the iPhone up to a charger. The wi-fi won't go off because the iPhone doesn't go into standby.

16. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Doesnt iOS automatically connect to any available network when wifi, and 3G are on?

Anyway, if that isnt the case, I suggest SBSettings. Its what I use, and have been using the day I jailbroke my phone!

17. Highmastdon macrumors newbie

Auto3G

Yes, i know. I'm digging an old thread. But I was looking for something like it too.

Might be that Auto3G will do the job. Not 100% sure. But it does turn off 3g, so maybe It'll be able to turn off data fully if connected to Wifi.

I was also looking at something to avoid using my data and saving battery life combined with Insomnia which keeps my Wifi alive.

So 'Insomnia' + 'something that turns off data when I'm on wifi (and on when i lost connection)' = would be awesome...

18. cynics macrumors G3

As suggested as long as you don't need the phone while doing this then airplane mode will work too.

However I think wifi shut off not the carrier switch it too 3G.