Turn off iPhone Multitasking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -BigMac-, Sep 14, 2012.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

Hi guys.

Just updated my dads and mums iphones to iOS6.
    Noticed they have over 30 (all) apps open in the background.

As much faith as i have in the 'app freezing' Apple does to background apps, i still think it would suck some battery.

Is there a way to turn off multitasking on the iPhone?

Thanks a lot :)

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

No, you can't turn off multitasking.

They did not have 30 apps open in the background. The multitasking tray does not list open apps. It just lists recently used apps.

Frozen apps do not suck battery. They are simply frozen in RAM. No active processes.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

One: you don't turn off multitasking.

Two: you don't need to turn off multitasking.

Three: any apps that are running are indicated by an obvious bar at the top, or a little compass arrow next to the battery. Any other apps don't run in the background for more than 10 minutes.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That may be true hypothetically. But any poorly written app still can linger in the background (a bug in a GPS app, or Skype not properly disconnect calls).

5. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

thanks. i thought i knew what those apps were but this really cleared things up for me.

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Everything I said was true. Nothing hypothetical about it.

The fact that an buggy app can hang does not contradict what I said.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Okay...but you said "They did not have 30 apps open in the background. The multitasking tray does not list open apps. It just lists recently used apps." GPS apps can be open (as in they have a background process going on) and they are listed in the tray. Along with VOIP apps and audio apps (like Pandora).

So everything you said isn't true. :p

(I'm giving you a hard time. People act like background apps can't possibly bog down your iPhone or can't suck battery life; in a perfect world, they can't. However, with buggy apps (even from big companies), they can do both.

8. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Not true. This isn't android. On android, the OS informs the apps that they should close. A poorly behaved app can ignore it.

On iOS, the OS invokes the app on each event and expects it to respond back. If it doesn't, it's assumed hung and killed immediately. iOS apps that run in background have to constantly ask for permission. If they don't respond they get killed at most within 10 minutes.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

There is still an element of managing apps.

Three of my favorites seem capable of running indefinitely in the background and I prefer it that way.

MotionX, Skype and Tune-in radio.

I manually kill them when I'm finished using them.

10. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

and that's one reason why I Jailbreak all my IOS devices

11. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Correct.

On Android, apps can do whatever they want in the background, thus a buggy app can drain the battery, hog memory, crash the OS, etc.

On iOS, apps can only do limited things in the background: Play audible content, check for location, VoIP, receive updates from external accessories, or Newstand apps that download and process content.

Both are true multi-tasking, Android is a no-holds barred multi-tasking system, and iOS is a controlled multi-tasking system. Both have their positives and negatives.

It's like being a 17-year old, and going to a house party where there is no supervision, vs. the parents of the house supervising the party.

There is more of a chance for different 'questionable' activities going on at the unsupervised party, but there is also a chance that the house might be trashed or things stolen at that party.

For a supervised party, the house will most likely be fine after the party, none of the guests will get STDs or become pregnant, but it might not be as 'interesting or fun'.

12. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Seeing as you can only use one app at a time on a phone, I really don't see the need, or the special bragging, about having full force multitasking. On desktops I can see it, but not on 4" phones.