Turn off LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petrucci666, Sep 17, 2012.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Can LTE be turned off to use 3G on the new iPhone 5?

2. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

3. drkryn macrumors member

It's an option on the iPad so I can't imagine why it wouldn't be an option for the iPhone.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

There is a pic floating around of the LTE toggle.

But yes you can turn it off, which I certainly will since there is not LTE AT&T where I am currently stationed.

5. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank God! On the 4S you couldn't turn off the '4G' and it would kill the battery and data plan.

Good to know, thanks all!

6. benguild macrumors 6502a

Funny that on AT&T you can turn this off, but not 3G. It's like the 3G network is the new EDGE.

7. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Good news. I like using LTE on an on-demand basis when I need the extra speed.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You mean you couldnt turn off 3G.
    4G is what AT&T called their HSPA+ kinda 3G+
    If you did that then you will fall back to 2G edge speeds and who wants that?
    Mind as well use Tmobile.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

okay, must be I am slow

Why would I want to turn LTE off?

10. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

To save battery life, but we do not know how well the battery life with it on is with the new iPhone, plus if you do not have LTE in your area no since in having it on anyway.

11. MajesticNJ macrumors regular

MajesticNJ

Save battery and also prevent out of control data usage. Manually choosing to throttle your speeds could help prevent going over your data usage.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

3G sort of *IS* the new EDGE. As new technology comes in, the oldest tech gets phased out.

Providers don't want you on GSM/EDGE (2G) anymore. They are slowly phasing out their 2G networks to free up spectrum for 3G and LTE. Every device still using 2G makes it harder for them to do this.

As spectrum currently being used for 2G is repurposed for 3G, 2G performance will get worse and 3G will improve. At some point providers will kill 2G entirely, requiring anyone with an older 2G-only phone to upgrade.

13. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's what I meant. 4G was kinda 3G just written differently.

It's stupid that the phone would say it's on 4G and then in setting it would be 'Enable 3G'. I wasn't confused about it, but I know a few people that were confused about it.

----------

This and Onavo :)

14. BFizzzle, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

hence the '' he put around 4g ;)

i cant believe they are allowed to market it as 4g

15. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same here. For some basic tasks like checking mail and getting driving directions even EDGE would suffice.

16. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Getting driving directions involves downloading maps. EDGE would be really slow for this.

17. robopath macrumors regular

The new ipad still has well known issues re-establishing an LTE connection under certain circumstances. Thought it was fixed this summer, but it's still happening. Only fix is turning off LTE. I could see this being an issue with the iphone 5 as well. FWIW, there were similar issues when the 3G iphone came out.

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I still do not get it.

If I have to download 350k of data, no matter what it is, I will be charged for 350k of data. Could be LTE, GSM,2g 3g edge or whatever you want to call it.

If you need to watch your data, then watch what programs you are running.

19. drmark50 macrumors newbie

My thoughts exactly.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't available on ALL models, specifically AT&T. I say this because there is precedence with the 3G toggle on the 4S for AT&T. Frankly, we will have to see when the thing launches. For the longest time people here was asking if LTE on Verizon would finally allow voice and data simultaneously, and I don't think a single person said "no". Then it was officially announced that it will NOT allow for voice+data while on LTE. Bummer. :(

21. BlueMoonForever macrumors 6502

It appears you can turn off LTE, but not 3G/4G HSPA+ on the AT&T version. I still wouldn't bet on this being available for long. In the next update AT&T will have it removed.

None of AT&T's smartphones have the option to turn off 3G or 4G LTE.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There are a handful of examples, but I will give you one. Say you visit a site on 3G and a link loads that you know you want to click. You click that before the entire site has loaded. Now you visit the same exact site on LTE and the page loads almost instantly. This is a case where you will use more data, and will likely be somewhat worse while tethering. A LOT more? Probably not. But it really depends on what kind of plan you are on and what the browsing habits of the people who share that plan with you are. If 2+ people are splitting a couple gigs of data, this can easily be aha pushes you over the edge. I don't think that it will be a huge deal for the vast majority of users though.

23. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

mine hasnt had any problems with this, nor have i read anything about this up until now. I just did a google search too. Sure its well known?

24. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

"iPad LTE Issue" brings up a whole slew of hits. I remember reading about it in passing right after launch. I don't own the appropriate model to have any input beyond that though.

25. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

with it reestablishing connection? everything i found with "ipad lte issues" is stuff about it not being global, issues with europe, issues exposing roaming, etc. one was about 3g connectivity.

Im just curious about what problems people are having. He said resestablishing connection. he means from turning it off in settings and coming back on right?