Turn Snow Leopard MBP into Wi-Fi Hot Spot... Sourcing From Wi-fi??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Z400Racer37, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering... I just got my MBP, and I know that you can plug in to the ethernet port and use your mac to broadcast wi-fi, but I was wondering if you could receive a wi-fi signal and then re-broadcast it?

The reason for this is that i am trying to get my mbp allowed through a mac filter at work. After I eventually figure out how to do that, (since apparently spoofing was blocked in 10.6.6?) I would like to be able to make a wi-fi hotspot so that one of my co-workers can also access the internet, so we can check our stocks during break time...

Is this possible?? Or is there a program that makes it possible? And does anyone have any tips or ways to get around the apparent MAC address spoofing block of 10.6.6???

Thanks Everyone

2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I know of no way. If you make a wireless network with your mac, it joins that network. I don't believe the hardware would support being on two different networks at the same time, let alone the software.

Maybe if you use an external wireless receiver, but either way, wouldn't it be easier to just get a hard ethernet connection? Maybe you can connect your MBP to your co-worker's computer using ethernet?

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

No, however if your coworkers computer has bluetooth, you can share through that.

4. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replys guys. the computer of my co worker happens to be a macbook with bluetooth capabilities, how exactly would i go about sharing internet through bluetooth? system prefs> sharing> turn on bluetooth sharing and there should be an option? or should there be an option under internet sharing thats not showing up right now because I'm not connected to it through bluetooth (and I would have to turn on bluetooth sharing as well for it to work?)?

Thanks again

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Under the Sharing Prefpane of System Preferences, click Internet Sharing. Where is says, "Share your connection from:" Choose Bluetooth DUN. Where it says "To computers using:" Choose Airport.

Of course you both need bluetooth enabled and discoverable and I think connected.

6. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot Dalton, I'll let ya know if i find a way to get past the mac filter and if this works! (any ideas on mac spoofing with 10.6.6? or how to downgrade to 10.6.5?)

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    One of the annoying things I've found about sharing an airport connection over bluetooth is that if you put computer(s?) to sleep, you have to restart the computer which is accessing the shared connect

I would love if there was a way to share the airport connection directly via airport. That would give us more range than w/ sharing over bluetooth. My wife's MacBook Air (The computer that we're using on this trip to share a wifi internet connection) doesn't have an ethernet or firewire port (Those are the other ways I could share my Wifi internet connection)