Turning on and off MBP daily vs putting it to sleep when not used

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by solarisc, Dec 3, 2008.

1. solarisc macrumors member

Which one do you think the MBP will last longer?

Turn it on and off daily, which i use about 3 hours a day on the new MBP (not unibody) or should I just put it to sleep when it isn't in use? Again, i use my older powerbook g4 and so i don't use this MBP during the night just a few hours at night.

Thanks.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Turn it off, I sleep mine personally, but I use mine alot during the day, take it out with me when I've got group meetups, saves battery sleeping it compared to booting and shutting down.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't know, I think it's harder on components when you constantly startup and shutdown. Sleep mode hardly uses any battery power.

4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Here's a thought......

It doesn't matter.

Turning your computer on and off doesn't hurt it at all, nor leaving it in sleep mode either.

It all depends on how you want to use it.

Personally I turn on my MBP in the morning then when I go to school, I put it in sleep mode, then at night I turn it off.

Either way, your not going to harm it.

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

I just keep mine in sleep mode. I end up having to charge it at the end of the day anyway, and I like being able to open it any time and continue working on whatever I had open.

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

I tend to just mix it up...leave it on for a few days at a time (or a lot of days), then shut it down for a night or two, then sleep it for a while etc.

Although in the week I've had this new one I've shut it down each night, but I always start off that way with new computers for no real reason. I tend to shut them down each night for a couple weeks then I get lazy and sleep them.

7. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

I hadn't turned off my Core Duo or Core 2 Duo BlackBooks pretty much ever, unless it was for a long trip, plane/car/etc.. where it would be packed away.

Otherwise it was always asleep/charging etc..

I'll do the same with my MBP, it's not hurting or helping it either way, I just enjoy the convenience of opening it up whenever I need to.

8. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

not really sure. When the notebook sleeps it still uses battery (a lot of threads about this).

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Use whatever you want.

Personally, I can't remember the last time I've ever shut down any of my Macs... And I restart only when absolutely necessary (if software update demands it or there's some really weird stuff going on with the computer that cannot be fixed by other measures). Current uptime of the MacBook - 20 days 6 hours :D