Turning Spare Monitor into a digital TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ShaunC, May 24, 2008.

1. ShaunC macrumors member

having recently bought a new macbook i have found myself with a spare LCD monitor.

i want to turn it into a TV that recieves UK 'Freeview' without the aid of a computer

what equipment would i need?

i've looked on the web already but most are about american digital tv.. is that a different frequency etc

The monitor i want to use is a Dell 17inch 1707FP model, it has inputs on the back for things like D-SUB and DVI-D.. but i have no idea what they mean

help anyone?

2. .mark. macrumors 6502

Just look for a freeview box which has an output that your monitor can input. I have a dell 2407 and used to use it with a sony freeview box (via composite) before I got my big tv! You'll also need some speakers and to hook them up if the monitor doesn't have them built in

3. ShaunC thread starter macrumors member

yeah thats true
    what imput did you run to your dell?

i presume its the same imput just a bigger screen

and did you run your audio from the monitor or the freeview box itself?

4. .mark. macrumors 6502

the freeview box had a scart output so I got one of these for separating scart into composite and then the audio. My dell monitor has a load of inputs so I just hooked the composite (the yellow connector) up, and then ran the audio straight into my hifi.

5. ShaunC thread starter macrumors member

i've got a set of speakers in the room already

but there being ran through an airport express then a splitter to allow 5 of them to work together

is there a chance that if i add another splitter or extra imput to the speakers or airport express it could overload it?

6. .mark. macrumors 6502

no idea buddy!