Turning WIFI off on my iPhone speeds up my watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by perezr10, Feb 20, 2016.

1. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone else noticed that if you leave the house with wifi on your phone "on" that it seems to slow down your watch for some tasks? When I have my wifi on but I'm not in range of a network is the situation I'm specifically referring to.

A couple apps that I use a lot on my Apple Watch when I leave my house are Runkeeper and Downcast. Since I'm running I use SIRI to launch or switch to another app. I started noticing that if I had my WIFI on that it slowed down these apps from launching fully. I suspect the slowdown was not totally the watches fault but also had to do with my iPhone looking for a wifi network first and then switching to cellular.

I started turning my wifi off before going out for my runs and Siri seems much snappier. Also, asking Siri to text for me is much better with wifi turned off.

Anyway, here's something else to try if you are frustrated with your watch response times.

2. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I suspect you have "Ask to Join Networks" enabled, and you live in a neighborhood with a lot of WiFi available. Have you tried it with "Ask to Join" off?

3. perezr10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a good thought. Although, I do have my Ask to Join turned off.

I think the iPhone still is programmed to give your homework wifi a second or two before it switches to cellular. When you are staring at your watch face with your arm raised, that second or two seems like a loooong time.