Tutorials, Tips and Tricks for New iPad and iPad Pro Owners

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 25, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Get a new iPad or iPad Pro for the holidays? If so, you may want to check out our extensive collection of iPad how tos and guides to learn all of the ins and outs of your new tablet.

Even if you've had an iPad before, if you got one of the new 2018 iPad Pro models, there are a lot of new features to get acquainted with due to the new Face ID feature and the removal of the Home button, which introduces a whole new swipe-based interface. Below, we've organized many of our iPad-related how tos into categories for quick access.

[​IMG]

Beginner Tips
    [*]How to Set Up Your New iPhone or iPad Using Automatic Setup
    [*]How to Shut Down or Force Restart Your 2018 iPad Pro
    [*]How to Take a Screenshot on the 2018 11 and 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Models
    [*]How to View the Desktop Version of a Website on Your iPhone and iPad
    [*]How to Access Control Center and Home Screen in iOS 12 With the iPad's New Gestures
    [*]How to Send and Receive SMS Messages on iPad via Text Message Forwarding
    [*]How to Identify and Remove Unnecessary Apps on Your iPhone and iPad
    [*]How to use the iPad App Switcher
    [*]How to Use Drag and Drop on an iPad and iPhone
    [*]How to Create and Use Memoji in iOS 12
    [*]How to Use Screen Time in iOS 12
    [*]How to Access and Set Up Parental Controls in iOS 12
    [*]How to Turn on Automatic Software Updates in iOS 12
    [*]All of the Changes to Notifications in iOS 12
    Useful iOS Features

[*]How to Use the Magnifier Feature on iPhone and iPad
    [*]How to Take Burst Photos on iPhone and iPad
    [*]How to Share Your Wi-Fi Password With a Friend on iPhone or iPad
    [*]How to Subscribe to Calendars on iPhone and iPad
    [*]How to Control and Tweak a True Tone Display on iPhone and iPad
    [*]How to Use Apple Pay Cash on iPhone and iPad
    [*]How to Use the iPad's Nifty Flick Keyboard Feature
    [*]How to Record Your iPhone or iPad Screen
    [*]How to Use App Limits and Downtime in iOS 12
    Hidden Tricks

[*]How to Change Siri's Voice on iPhone or iPad
    [*]How to Drag and Drop Text Between Apps on the iPad
    [*]How to Close All of Your Safari Tabs at Once on iPhone or iPad
    [*]How to Scan a QR Code Using the Camera on the iPhone or the iPad
    [*]How to Perform a Quick Website Search in Safari
    [*]How to Get Siri to Play a Daily News Digest
    [*]How to Get the Most Out of Your New Sixth-Generation iPad
    Important Security Tips

[*]How to Use iCloud Keychain on Your iOS Devices
    [*]How to Secure Your Apple ID Using Two-Factor Authentication
    [*]How to Create a More Secure Passcode on Your iPhone or iPad
    [*]How to Use Automatic Strong Passwords and Password Auditing in iOS 12
    [*]How to Use Safari's Private Browsing Mode and Delete Your Browsing History
    Advanced Functionality

[*]How to Let a Contact Bypass iOS 12's Do Not Disturb Mode Without Adding Them to Your Favorites List
    [*]How to Enable and Disable Critical Alerts in iOS 12
    [*]How to Recover Files, Contacts, Bookmarks, Calendars and Reminders in iCloud
    [*]How to Hide Pictures From the Photos App in iOS 12
    The Apple Pencil

[*]How to Change the Tap Gesture on the Apple Pencil 2
    [*]How to Use Instant Notes on iPad With Apple Pencil
    Must-Watch Videos

We've also created several iPad-related tutorial videos that are well worth watching if you have one of Apple's new devices.

Selling Your Old iPad

If you're planning to sell or give away your old iPad now that you have a new model to play with, make sure to check out our detailed guide on how to cleanly erase your old devices to get rid of all your data.

More Info

Have any useful iPad-related tips and tricks that other MacRumors readers should know? Share them in the comments!

If you want to know more about Apple's 2018 iPad and 2018 iPad Pro models, make sure to check out our full roundups with complete details on the different tablets: iPad Pro and iPad.

Article Link: Tutorials, Tips and Tricks for New iPad and iPad Pro Owners

2. markcres macrumors 6502

markcres

3. kavantr macrumors newbie

kavantr

App limit and downtime link is not working.

4. kodos macrumors 6502

I keep waiting to see some kind of tip or trick that will make these things more useful to use as my daily machine. These tips are sad compared to something with a real OS.

5. snowboarder macrumors 6502

Exactly, how about:
    - How to copy a large file from your Mac to your iPad (without any "cloud")?
    - How to open a file saved in one app by a different app?
    - How to copy your images to your Mac without using iTunes?
    - How to connect an SD card and use it to store your file?
    etc, etc
    You know, some simple things like that...

6. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

people need tutorial for iOS? the reason why i got iOS is so i don't have to read or watch tutorials

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Moderator Note:

Please take all the bent iPad comments to a relevant thread. It is off topic to this thread.

8. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I bought myself the 6th generation iPad for 229. A bit of an indulgent gift to myself. I never thought I would buy an iPad. I couldn't justify it. But the price finally dipped low enough, plus the possibility of doing art on it with the pencil interested me. The case I bought to go with it came used so I am going to delay gratification and wait to open the iPad until I get a new case. With electronic devices I have learned cases make a huge difference in longevity.

9. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

I notice this trend not only with Apple products, but also with macOS and iOS software. Gone are the days where you just knew how to do things. It's getting more and more difficult to use.

10. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Who remembers when the iPad boasted portability, intuitiveness and practicality. Now? Now you need a series of online courses to get the best from this behemoth of a beast (iPad Pro) which has now reversed the qualities of even its first concept. Now it costs twice as much. At least! Twice as heavy and twice as big. The desk computer has its place and hopefully always will. The iPad was the complete opposite. A pick up and go, instant action, hybrid of internet, camera, games and casual usage. It was never really meant to be a computer alternative. That was its ISP. Apple have lost that concept. The iPad Pro is a folly. An excuse to prove Apple have t lost their way. In fact it symbolises that they clearly have. I saw one yesterday in an Apple reseller outlet. Neglected. Overseen. Aimless. I immediately felt sorry for it and was tempted to take it home. Luckily common sense kicked in just in time and I did what everybody else did - made my excuses and left!
    What was the question again?

11. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Merry Christmas to you too. The iPad is still as intuitive as the first day it was released. It now simply has a more in depth OS. Which doesn’t need to be utilized by most people to get what you want out of it. Tutorials like this are meant to show people what’s now possible. Stop overreacting.

12. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Doesn't that signify the tricky spot the iPads are in? Half the posts here are complaints that the iPad doesn't do enough, the other half are complaints that using the iPad has become so difficult there need to be guides for it. I think it shows a delicate balance is being sought, and Apple is still working on it.

13. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to the MacRumors staff! I appreciate what you guys do all year long bringing us all Apple news and relevant information. I just wanted to take a break from the negativity and spread some positive sentiments.

Thanks..

14. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Thanks for the explanation! From now on whenever I feel a need to describe something as being unnecessarily complicated, I will in future say it is “in depth” instead. Great!

15. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

How bout just buy a Mac then?

Obviously iOS isn’t built for these functions.

16. Firebrand macrumors regular

Let’s talk again when you are 67 years old.

17. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

A lot of people got iPads today, which might be their first iOS device. The iPhone 4s was my first iOS device and there were plenty of things I had to look up for specific things I wanted to do.

18. Shiro_Simba Suspended

Shiro_Simba

Thanks for the guide . Will be helpful to owners .

It’s is a sexy device
    --- Post Merged, Dec 25, 2018 ---
    iPad and iPhones differ functionality wise . Also IOS experience right now is fragmented with Touch ID and faceid , some users need a little help . Can always avoid these

19. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

I use my iPad Pro more and more over my $4200 MBP every day. There IS an audience apparently. Surprised even myself.

Now, yes, I wish it did those few keys things we all have written about.

20. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Unnecessarily complicated is an opinion not a fact. The reason I use “in depth” is because in my opinion the best designed software is one that all skill levels can easily use, but it’s also deep enough for more advanced users to fully utilize all of it’s potential power. And the iPad now seems to fit that description.

Just because Macrumors is making tutorials on how to get the most out of an iPad, doesn't mean it’s too complicated for the average user that doesn’t watch these videos. That’s silly.

21. Marekul macrumors regular

if i may ask, what do you do for work that needs a 4K mbp that you also can do on an iPad?
    honestly asking because i have almost zero overlap with same setup (bbubt normal iPad)

22. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

While I will not buy, thanks for the comprehensive tutorials MacRumors! :)

23. now i see it macrumors 68030

The iPad, "Pro" or otherwise, is what it is. It's an iPad. Nothing more. It has all its flaws and limitations brought on by iOS and that's just the way it is.
    I think where a lot of people get all bent out of shape is when Apple tacks the moniker "Pro" after the name of a product. "Pro" is a marketing term. It doesn't imply or really mean anything. The "Pro" sticker could just as easily be replaced with "GX" or "SS" or "Premium".
    Yes. Replace "Pro" with "Premium" and then there shouldn't be any misconceptions.
    It's just an iPad ... no matter how much Apple tries to convince us it's not.

24. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

That’s like complaining McDonalds offers a cheeseburger even though the original hamburger was a great concept, not to mention McD’s loss of focus in offering of a half dozen burger choices and a fish fillet, egads. Let’s not even mention the curly or cottage fries.

Lucky for you there is a rumored iPad mini update.

25. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

The interface hasn’t fundamentally changed since the first iPad. The base interface is more than enough to suit the needs of most users. More professional features means some features will only be intuitive after you learn to use them. If you think the iPad Pro is folly, go tell that to the large number of users using it as their main computer, for work and for home. Just because it doesn’t fit the arbitrary narrative you constructed in your head doesn’t make it any less of a good product. Personally, I was dismissive of the iPad as a computer until Apple came out with the features in iOS 11. Now most of my computing (except programming and photo editing) is done on the iPad. It feels so much better and intuitive than the Mac.