TV as external display suddenly displaying only thousands of colors

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bengt77, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

It's been a while since I've hooked up my MacBook (late 2008 aluminium) to my TV (Samsung LE40M87BD), to use the latter as an external display for watching a film. Tonight I did it once again, and to my dismay the TV was displaying only thousands of colors. Maybe even only 256, I don't know. It's not a changed setting in my TV, as I've looked through its menu and couldn't find any option that would force it to display the millions it's certainly capable of.

After seeing this weird issue, I opened System Preferences. I looked in the Displays preference pane, but since some years Apple allows no manual control over the color depth anymore. So no luck there. I tried restarting, but that changed nothing. It outputs a correct 1080p 50Hz (PAL) signal, but the colors are just all wrong.

How can it be that my MacBook always used to perfectly display millions of colors on my TV, but now suddenly doesn't? I'm using Apple's own Mini Display Port to DVI adapter, and then a DVI to HDMI cable, which always worked problem free. So it's not the cables, I think. It has to be something in the hardware or software. I'm hoping it's software, otherwise it will be a more serious problem. I haven't tried BootCamp yet, but will do so tonight, just to see if Vista will output millions of colors.

The question is, did anybody else have this problem once? Has anybody else ever seen anything like this – or heard of it, read about it – and know how to solve it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bengt77 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Weird. It's doing fine now. It seems it was an issue with the Mini Display Port connector. I'm glad it's all working as it should again. Still, it's weird.