TV as iMac dual monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AcesHigh87, Oct 13, 2011.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I’m not looking to do this right now but wondering if it’s even a possibility.

I currently own a pretty poor quality HDTV (Aveis 24”) and it’s really starting to bug me in the living room, just too damn small. Likely during boxing week sales after Christmas I’m going to upgrade it, leaving me nothing to do with the TV. So, I had a thought. Why spend $1000 for the Apple Cinema display when I could just hook up my TV as a second monitor.

My iMac is a 2011 21.5” with 1 TB port. I imagine since the TB port works as both Mini-Display and TB I could get a Display-HDMI adaptor and plug the TV into that. Would this work though? Also, how would the quality likely be? I know the Cinema display would obviously be better but the price is insane. The second monitor would likely just be used for full screen previews while editing HD video, it wouldn’t really be used for text and such that computer monitors do better.

2. lc25 macrumors 6502

I can see no reason why this wouldn't work, i used to do something similar and now have a 48" tv hooked up. The only thing you are limited by is the tv's maximum resolution.

3. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

The TV will do 1080P which for full screen previews would be enough.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Should work fine. I've connected my 2011 iMac 27 to my 40".