TV Shows and the "Green" Movement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ErikCLDR, Apr 17, 2008.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Ok, so I haven't really watched that much TV in the past year because I never really find the time to. It seems however TV networks are really pushing the green movement, and I find it extremely annoying.

The network name in the bottom corner of the screen sometimes is written in green and the other day I saw the FOX logo in green with an earth as the O while watching some show.

I also find the little public service announcements to by actors to be annoying.

Not that those are huge deal, but when they start integrating environmentally friendly "propoganda" (not a great word choice but you catch my drift) and statistics into the scrips of the show I just find annoying. Its so blatantly added to the TV show and has no relevance to the plot of the show.

Not that I have anything against living cleaner, preserving, and conserving, it's just annoying seeing "propaganda" shoved into TV shows.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You mean propaganda that you are aware of, because most shows/channels have their own hidden agenda.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yeah, it's annoying but at least it's for a good thing this time.

4. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't really mean the word propoganda.

More like blatantly clear agenda advertising. I think the show should be what it is intended to be. Not to suddenly become a catalyst for telling us how to live a more environmentally friendly life. That should be left to shows that have the intended purpose of doing that.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, considering the fact that TV is a promoter of consumerism sine qua non, their "green" agenda is obviously bull****.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Given that TV is market driven, I'm sure they're doing this because of an increased interest by the American public in all things "green".

If that's the case, then they're simply giving TV viewers what they want.

7. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i can't stand this whole "going green" thing, much of it sounds faddy (as in we'll mostly forget about it in 10 years, especially if global warming gets debunked). i'm not going to talk about my views of global warming here, but i just think the whole "going green" thing is something sheople flaunt to be in the circle, etc.

for the record, we are "going green", but not for the reasons that they are marketing (save the earth, global warming, etc). we're doing it mostly for our health; eating more organic food, organic cleaners, eco friendly stuff to benefit us primarily. the fact that it helps take care of the earth is more of an added benefit for us. we call it "back to the basics" in our house, since my mom especially grew up eating organic food, used organic products in the home and doing much of the stuff they want us to do now to "save the earth". i think it's just gone full circle, after getting rid of the organic stuff middle of last century with the processed stuff, they are now marking up the organic stuff and pleading us to buy it to "save the earth".

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Bingo.

If you really want to help the environment, the key is to STOP buying unnecessary **** and reduce your consumption. Of course, that doesn't equate to nice profits for corporate America, so we get commercials telling us to buy "green" products. Ridiculous.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They did it with drugs (every sitcom in the 80's I remember had that special episode), they've done it with terrorism, and I'm sure they have and will do it with other things. Beats having to actually do much about it. Makes people feel better though. I don't see why it's a big deal considering all the other crap that's out there unless you really have a problem with that kind of thing despite saying you don't. Or unless you just think they're all just blowing fluff, which I think we all would agree with.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I always found this hypocritical, NBC is pushing being green yet how much energy is NBC wasting in running the network. Why not pull the plug on the network for a week and really be green.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Because they wouldn't get the best green of all - money!

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Bingo, it isn't about being green at all. They just want to make money and the green gimmick gives them ratings. Of course those people that are watching the network are using more energy than they would if they just turned the TV off.:rolleyes:

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So you don't have time to watch TV, yet you find time to post about it on Macrumors?

I'm sorry, but I have to question that.

As far as the point you raise. I say if it helps the cause, go for it. Sure they get some money out of it, but I get annoyed by that in general, not just here. When I watch TV, I don't get annoyed by it

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is that if the networks really wanted people to save the environment they would tell you to turn off the TV and stop wasting energy.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Absolutely.

TV sucks the life out of your brain. MacRumors, and the like, invigorate you.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Wait, this green? [​IMG] I don't think anything has changed.

17. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Well of course it is about money. I'm just annoyed because it really jars you out of the story. It felt like they had a show and then they just threw in a "buy solar power!" ad into the middle of the dialogue. They might as well just air an after school special because these blurbs aren't going to result in anything besides a few people buying something labeled green (probably the same people who only buy organic). They're just making the advertising in the show blatant.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They always do that. You're just now noticing? :p Of course it's about money. Throw some stuff up there, feel better about yourself, continue to sell out and waste more energy than most countries. No one ever said they weren't hypocrites.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I wonder how much energy the internet sucks up...;)

Lethal

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut