TV's top earners

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Aug 11, 2010.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

I figured this might fall under a "social issue", hence posting it in PRSI. If not, feel free to move it to the regular community discussion.

Who Are TV's Top Earners?

The list of TV's top earners was just published, and the list is quite astonishing. The amount of money some of these people make is pretty ridiculous. The highest-paid actor in a TV series of any sort is Charlie Sheen at $1.25 million PER EPISODE. Charlie Sheen! He's not even that good. The next-closest person behind him, his co-star, doesn't even make half as much.

But some of the numbers are just seriously strange. Angus T. Jones plays the son on Two and a Half Men. He makes $250,000 per episode. I've watched the show a few times, and it seems like he's really not that big of a character...and I've always thought he was a pretty terrible actor. Then you look at the leads for something like The Big Bang Theory (one of the top shows currently) who make $60,000 or less an episode. It's just weird.

Some of my favorites: Judge Judy makes more than David Letterman?? Really??? Kate Gosselin makes $250,000 an episode for being alive? SNOOKI?! And don't get me started on the news people.

Either way, it just seems like the amount some people make is out of control. I see it the same with sports figures. I'm sure there will be the standard replies saying "Well, then stop watching TV and stop supporting them!" Yes, that's an option, but let;s be serious...that will probably never happen. But it seems that TV and sports have dug themselves a hole they can't get out of now...and the public ends up paying for it by way of higher prices to support advertising. And then the actor wants a raise. Ad prices go up. Cost of product goes up. Ahh, the vicious cycle.

Just for giggles, I did the math. Take a person who has a basic $10 an hour job. He works 40 hours a week, every week of the year, starting from when he is 16 years old. He would have to work until he was 76 years old to earn what Charlie Sheen makes in ONE EPISODE of his show. HA!

I'm just interested in what others think about these types of salaries. It will be interesting to hear the comments on how wonderful capitalism is, as well!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

They would not be making those salaries if there was not a revenue stream to support it. Simple as that. I do think though that the guaranteed money top-shelf NFL rookies get in the NFL is ridiculous. A newb who hasn't played a down in the NFL shouldn't be getting 5x-10x more money than a Pro Bowler that has proven their worth on the field, IMO.

I think it's odd that you seemingly glossed over the meat of the article which was that actors aren't getting paid what they used to for lead roles.
    Not really indicative of the "vicious cycle" you are worried about.

Lethal

3. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Once a show becomes successful, if you don't pay actors an increasing price, they could always leave, making the show lose one of its most important elements. These sought-after actors could find somewhere else to get paid another hundred thousand. It's a little ridiculous how the crew doesn't get paid more when they write and produce the material, but it's more noticeably obvious when an actor is replaced, though the show will begin to suffer without a great crew.

A good writer can be replaced by another good writer, though the same can't be said for a really great writer Either way, once a major actor leaves a show, that can be the show's first step to being cancelled or dying out. After all, you would still watch your favorite show if you found out the prop guy or one of the writers is being replaced, but would you watch any show with a different cast other than the one you've come to enjoy tuning in to see every week?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It depends on the show. Ensemble based shows like Law & Order, ER, SNL or MadTV have thrived with cast members coming and going.

Lethal

5. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

ahh Charlie, what a naughty man you are yet the damn TV public (including moi) love you,
    you money-making SOB! :p

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

and here people get bent out of shape over what some CEO's make. Yet you have TV personalities who make more in one episode than the majority of MR posters could hope for.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Jennifer Aniston was the first to make 1 mill per episode I think for the last two episodes of Friends.

I don't really have an issue with this sort of thing because you don't pay a license fee to watch TV. Unlike the UK, where you are forced to pay a license fee to watch TV, yet many TV execs and hosts are on huge salaries and having lavish parties using license fee money.

I guess that's my position - make as much money as you like, billion a day if you can, as long as it's not a fee or tax of some sort through the govt.

8. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

All the six main characters were paid around the million dollar figure per episode but not just for the last two episodes. They renegotiated the terms of their contract much earlier.

Charlie Sheen must be one of the best-paid TV actors.

In terms of producers and actors, the Family Guy/American Dad/The Cleveland Show franchise is now in the $100m+ territory. Check out, how hot Meg's voice actor is. But there, of course the big money goes to the producer, Seth MacFarlane, who happens to be the voice of several of the main characters.

EDIT: sorry, accidental consecutive posting.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Depends. I have a problem with paying big money to CEOs that drive their companies off a cliff and to reality TV "celebs". I don't have a problem with George Clooney making that kind of money.

I have to agree with Lethal about salaries in sports. They're insane.

Interestingly, the best approach I've ever seen to TV salaries was taken by J. Michael Straczynski, the creator of Babylon 5. Knowing that actors often get five year contracts and demand big raises at the end of those five years, he conceived his show as one epic tale that came to a definite conclusion at the end of those five years. Problem solved. :)

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It also had the side effect of making the series nice and continuous from beginning to end. Far better than its contemporary shows.

To the OP: You know what the answer is don't you? Go be an actor, but only take $10 an hour to prove a point. I'm sure other actors will be moved by your convictions and follow suit in no time flat.

11. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I knew Oprah would be in there somewhere. Never watched any of her shows - is it a bit like Jeremy Kyle here in the UK or is it totally different?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Reality show contestant are so much cheaper...
    And your point is? Hypocrisy? That "people" here think big actor salaries are a good thing ?

13. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Well

Consider this: We are to blame/thank for these figures. If we did not watch these shows/movies, the producers would have no money to pay the actors with.

Edit: So next time you see some idiot reading one of those entertainment gossip mags at the grocery store, slap it out of her hand before she can buy it?

14. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually, I didn't mean to gloss over the part about salaries going down. I was getting so long-winded in my OP, that I finally just hit "post". I fully support the salaries going down. I don't believe that TV actors should be paid like a Wal-Mart employee or anything. But let's be serious that making more than many people will make in the bulk of their lifetimes for one episode of work, is really a little crazy. It's especially true when people who are doing the "real" jobs out there are being asked to take pay cuts and losing pensions and such. Take pilots for instance...the people controlling that thing you're sitting on flying 500mph through the air. Most of them are terribly paid, and being asked to take pay cuts all the time.

I thought about including sports more on my OP, but I'm not a sports watcher in any aspect, so my words in the matter would probably be disjointed. My biggest pet peeve in sports is stadiums and arenas being named after companies....and changing every other year. Like the "1-800-ASK-GARY Amphitheatre in Tampa. Ugh.

I guess what I look at here is the greed factor. Demanding that much money or leaving the show, when you are already making 1000 times a day what, say, a teacher/fireman/policeman/pilot/etc make...come on. I know why people do it, and people will always do it. Yes, I want to get paid more for what I do as well. I guess I just prefer more to be happy with what I AM getting and moving on in life, than constantly trying to gouge more out of my employers.

Charlie Sheen is THE best-paid TV actor, by more than twice as much as his nearest competitor (not including Oprah).

Interesting that you mention Family Guy. It isn't even on the list. You would think Seth McFarlane would be in there. But the two top voice actors for The Simpons are pulling in $400k per episode. For being voices. Wow.

Yes, I was waiting for this. As I said above...I do not believe that TV actors should be getting paid like Wal-Mart employees...but what some of them do get paid is really just stupid.

I was on the set of a movie shoot recently, and saw first-hand why movie tickets for even the most bare-bones movie cost so much. There is an INCREDIBLE waste of money going on there (even beyond salaries). I could write an entire book on ways to cut the price in half. That was based on your regular movie. Unfortunately, your standard comedy ticket costs the same as the mind-blowing action flick. Seeing a movie in the theater for me is rare.

I know it sounds like I'm jealous and I want that kind of money, but that's really not it. As we all know...the costs for anything are always paid in the end by consumers. And to whoever mentioned CEO salaries...don't get me started at all on that one!

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I agree with MattSepeta. It's 'our' own doing. As far as the CEOs are concerned, look what they (with their corporate welfare) have done to this country. Screwed up the economy and so many lives. Charlie Sheen has only beaten a few women.

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Don't

Don't watch TV.

Watch Independent Films with new actors.

Don't click on the news story about the Kardashians, no matter how relevant to your life you feel it may be.

I used to get all worked up over the state of "E(!)ntertainment," then I just stopped caring because it's stupid and not worth my time!

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I couldn't really care less, they are getting paid to entertain. Good for them.

The only gripe I have, and it was mentioned earlier was new football pro's who haven't set foot on the field and are bringing in more money then those who have established themselves and are pro bowlers. If you are a rookie, you should be paid like one until you prove your worth.

18. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Frankly I would prefer they reduce the number of commercials per show, and reduce the salaries of the actors somewhat to match. The actors would still get paid ridiculous amounts per episode (but not $200,000 - $1.3 mil) and watching TV would be more enjoyable.

19. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

MacFarlane is getting his money as a producer and as such, he is VERY well paid. There is no risk that the producers are having arguments about pay with the voice actors of Peter, Chris, Stewie and Brian Griffin; Glenn Quagmire and Tom Tucker. It's all him, MacFarlane. That's why he doesn't appear on the list. It would be stupid for him to charge himself commercial rate for the voices and pay higher tax. But if he was, he'd be on the list.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

TV I can deal with. TV personality will not lay off a bunch of people just so they can give themselves a multimillion bonus.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I try and ignore all of the crap. I could care less about the personal lives of Hollywood celebrities and don't read about it online, watch them on TV, etc.

22. ethical macrumors 68000

Didn't the cast of Friends make $1m per episode when they were into the 9th/10th series? And that was back in 2004.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Way ahead of you. :D

"Relevant"??

[​IMG]

24. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Wow, I wish I made that kind of money. And I don't even work (I'm 14). I suppose it was because it was so popular at the time, perhaps.