Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I have a PPC 6500 250mhz computer with maxed out RAM (128mb) and a new 40gig HD (partitioned into three different sized drives, the system on a 1gb drive). I consider myself a power user; I know limited applescript, use resedit regularly, and never use extensions manager, I love doing it all manually. I have my system optimised as best as I can, but I really want to get it working even better than it is (not an easy task, I know;-)).

I am wondering if anyone knows of some good extensions for older macs that boosts performance (various libraries, etc). I have a control panel called CPU Booster, and it works well by overriding the OS's process priorities to whatever I want, but I want to know if there is anything better out there, anything better for anything in general. I love my mac, but it just runs slow, and aside from clock chipping (which I don't know how to do), I don't know anything more to do. If you have sugestions, please let me know.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
yeah, I saw that, but I really don't feel comforterable clock-chipping my processor just yet. I am seeing if I can find a software approch to performance increases first.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I assume by the lack of responses to my post that no one knows of any tweaking software for the macOS 9.x. Just wanted to see if there was any good software (eg. extensions and controlpanels) that would boost performance of an old 603ev processor. I also have an ATI Rage II built-in graphics card (I think). If no one has any ideas, then I guess there is nothing left for it except for a clock-chip (which I don't want to do). I guess all I have now is a machine for older games and music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.