Twelve South's New 'Forté' Apple Watch Stand Launching in Apple Stores

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Twelve South today announced a new Apple Watch stand, called the Forté, that will let users display the wearable device in both portrait and Nightstand modes. The company built the new stand to mirror the aesthetic of the Apple Watch, with a chrome arm that holds the device at a 40 degree angle designed to easily read its screen on a bedside table. The bottom of the stand is also wrapped in leather, which Twelve South ensures will protect each Apple Watch band from scratching.

Like most other Apple Watch charging docks, the Forté requires users to use the MagSafe charger shipped with the Apple Watch to be able to charge the device. Twelve South also mentioned that users can rest an iPhone underneath the Apple Watch as a dual-action dock, but will of course need to provide their own Lightning charging cable to do so. Overall, the company called the new dock "the first full-featured Apple Watch stand worthy of the Apple Store."

"From the shape and standards, to fit and finish, Forté is the first full-featured stand that you can find in Apple Store. The simplicity of Forté directly reflects the beautiful Apple timepiece, whether it's placed bedside or on your bathroom vanity. We are thrilled to work with Apple Store to bring this incredible stand exclusively to Apple Store customers this Holiday season."
The $59.99 Forté Apple Watch dock is available in all Apple Store locations in the United States and Canada starting today, with a plan to roll out its availability in other regions "in the coming weeks." Those interested can also, of course, buy the charging cradle directly from Twelve South's official website.

Article Link: Twelve South's New 'Forté' Apple Watch Stand Launching in Apple Stores

nick42983

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
California
The problem with Apple products being so exorbitantly expensive is it's so hard to tell whats a good price for something anymore. Normally I would say $60 is crazy for a charging dock, but now Apple has me thinking "oh, that's not that bad."
Let me tell you, it is way overpriced. I use this Spigen stand: http://www.amazon.com/Spigen®-Charging-Premium-Compatible-Nightstand/dp/B0109I9W24/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1444836599&sr=1-1&keywords=spigen+apple+watch Honestly it probably cost 50 cents to make, but at $10.99 its not bad, supports nightstand mode, is small and totally serves its purpose. The Watch is on my wrist most of the time so I don't need a $60 stand in my bedroom that I rarely see or look at except when I'm about to go to sleep and charge my Watch.

ibri

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
What's up with these Nightstand Mode stands that don't have a base? I really like my $10 Spigen S350. It doesn't rely solely on the magnetic charger to hold it in place, so the watch doesn't fall off when hitting buttons or generally smacking it in the dark.

Reactions: rdlink

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
The problem with Apple products being so exorbitantly expensive is it's so hard to tell whats a good price for something anymore. Normally I would say $60 is crazy for a charging dock, but now Apple has me thinking "oh, that's not that bad."
It is way overpriced and is already rendered obsolete by WatchOS 2 nightstand mode! If I'm not sleeping, the watch is on my wrist. I don't understand the need for all these over designed presentation devices! I use the top of the box my SS watch came in. Looks nice, is lined with felt, has a depression to hold the watch in place, and doesn't interfere with nightstand mode. Done!

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Given how expensive most of the stands are, especially the wooden ones, a modern chrome stand like this for $60 seems pretty competitively priced imo. Very asthetically pleasing as well

Reactions: DesignerOnMac

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The part that confuses me most about all of these stands is: why do none of them have the wiring built in?

I should take it out of the box and plug it in. Done. I shouldn't have to wrap a cable around or anything. This means that you can only have one working stand per Apple Watch at a time - you can't have one that stays on your nightstand and another that maybe travels with your or something.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Let me tell you, it is way overpriced. I use this Spigen stand: http://www.amazon.com/Spigen®-Charging-Premium-Compatible-Nightstand/dp/B0109I9W24/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1444836599&sr=1-1&keywords=spigen+apple+watch Honestly it probably cost 50 cents to make, but at $10.99 its not bad, supports nightstand mode, is small and totally serves its purpose. The Watch is on my wrist most of the time so I don't need a $60 stand in my bedroom that I rarely see or look at except when I'm about to go to sleep and charge my Watch.
I went with this - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YINKK9G?redirect=true&ref_=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_29. I did so before Watch OS2 was announced and it still works but not as well for nightstand mode. I have the links band and that will not stay horizontal on this stand, but you can still coax it into nightstand mode.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I've bought a number of 12 South products and think they are generally well made and attractive as this one appears to be.

But how did 12S fall into the same "we didn't get the Nightstand Mode memo before designing it" trap?

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for sharing.

I tried the Elevation NightStand, but there's no shelf to support the watch, so when you press the crown in night stand mode it just falls off. It won't stay horizontal either. The weight of the watch always causes it to rotate off center. Terrible functionality in my opinion.

I use this Spigen stand

Last edited:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
What's up with these Nightstand Mode stands that don't have a base? I really like my $10 Spigen S350. It doesn't rely solely on the magnetic charger to hold it in place, so the watch doesn't fall off when hitting buttons or generally smacking it in the dark.
Spot on. I bought the Elevation Lab dock that is sold by Apple, and I returned it because there was nothing holding the watch up in nightstand mode. Made it very impractical to use.

I ordered the Apple watch dock from Native Union, because at the time it looked to be the only one that looked decent from a styling standpoint that would also work from an ergonomics standpoint. I received it a couple of weeks ago, and I am sending it back. Even though it works okay from an ergonomics standpoint, it's way too expensive at $59 for what it does.

I ordered a couple of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0127F1IC4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

One for my watch to charge on when I'm spending the night at my girlfriend's house, and one for her daughter's watch. It works slightly better than the Native Union one, actually looks a little better IMO, and is 1/6th the price.

I just ordered one of the Spigen docks to replace the Native Union one I'm returning, and to compare it with the Orzly one. So for about half the price of the Native Union dock I have three docks that work just as well or better and look better.

As far as the dock in this article it's a non-starter because there is nothing to support the watch in nightstand mode.

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
Won't even lie, this is actually the best watch stand I've seen to date. This might actually sway me to purchase my first Apple Watch stand!

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Do people really re-clasp their watch when they take it off?
Quite.

But if you do reclasp it, the thing stands up all by itself in "nightstand" orientation. No elaborate paraphernalia needed!

I need to patent this "reclasping" process. ;)

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I've bought a number of 12 South products and think they are generally well made and attractive as this one appears to be.

But how did 12S fall into the same "we didn't get the Nightstand Mode memo before designing it" trap?
From the article: "Twelve South today announced a new Apple Watch stand, called the Forté, that will let users display the wearable device in both portrait and Nightstand modes".

Reactions: Keane16

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
It would be refreshing to see Apple products priced at U.S. cost of living and not California cost of living. One wonders whether the prices would be as high if the HQ were not in Cupertino but in Birmingham, Alabama.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
I spent good money on a nice house. Lots of time and money on choosing nice furnishings. If I were to bring home the Spigen stand my other half would throw it out thinking it fell out of a Kinder Egg.

Joking aside, if I was still a student I'd definitely use the Spigen - it's cheap, will last and it's practical. But now, I'm happy to pay a bit more for accessories that compliment my other home furnishings.

It is way overpriced and is already rendered obsolete by WatchOS 2 nightstand mode!
From the article (first sentence):

"Twelve South today announced a new Apple Watch stand, called the Forté, that will let users display the wearable device in both portrait and Nightstand modes."

There's also a demo in the article video.

The part that confuses me most about all of these stands is: why do none of them have the wiring built in?
Yeah I agree. Especially at the more premium price points.

Do people really re-clasp their watch when they take it off?
Depends on the band I guess. I don't have it, but I'd probably close the Milanese Loop before docking it as it's quick to do and would prevent damage/scratches (to both the strap and dock).

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
The thing is not available from either the online or physical Apple Stores in my city. Disappointing.

airlog

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
UK
Thanks for the Spigen link - I agree 100% with your comments - I got two from Amazon UK for £9.99 each = a bargain :)

Reactions: nick42983