Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I am seeing a lot of traffic on the internet stating that an HD remake is happening. Anyone else excited for this?
Yup! I think Twilight Princess is my 2nd favourite 3D Zelda after Ocarina of Time. I love the world, the tone, the music, it was littered with secrets. Very excited to see what they do to the visuals, considering what they did to Windwaker HD.

I wonder how they'll handle it - if it'll be either a port of the Gamecube version (without motion controls) or the Wii version (motion controls and flipped world). Will they improve the motion controls to be more like Skyward Sword?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Chances are its just a wii emulator port on virtual console.

If it is a full remake, then I would guess the new Zelda will skip Wii U and end up on Nintendo NX 2017.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I wonder how they'll handle it - if it'll be either a port of the Gamecube version (without motion controls) or the Wii version (motion controls and flipped world). Will they improve the motion controls to be more like Skyward Sword?

Will probably have improved controls for the Wii U as well as Gamecube controller compatibility...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Will probably have improved controls for the Wii U as well as Gamecube controller compatibility...
It makes sense, Windwaker HD was completely playable with just the gamepad. But it was also the first major full-length game to feature motion controls. They've got to support both. But! Will they flip Hyrule around this time? (I reckon it'll be the same as the Wii version because most people recognise that one).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It makes sense, Windwaker HD was completely playable with just the gamepad. But it was also the first major full-length game to feature motion controls. They've got to support both. But! Will they flip Hyrule around this time? (I reckon it'll be the same as the Wii version because most people recognise that one).

What motion controls did windwaker have ?

I hated Wii version of Twilight Princess because of its controls and because they reversed the world making my Left Handed Link right handed.

I gave up on it and bought the GameCube version at an inflated price because it was only available in limited quantities. It was a vastly more enjoyable game because you no longer had to think about controls, you concentrated on gameplay and puzzles not wiggling and jolting your controller to accomplish tasks.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What motion controls did windwaker have ?

I hated Wii version of Twilight Princess because of its controls and because they reversed the world making my Left Handed Link right handed.

I gave up on it and bought the GameCube version at an inflated price because it was only available in limited quantities. It was a vastly more enjoyable game because you no longer had to think about controls, you concentrated on gameplay and puzzles not wiggling and jolting your controller to accomplish tasks.
Eep, meant to include TP, TP was the first major game to have motion controls :)

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
I had just heard about a possible remake last night or maybe the night before. I think it's possible they would include both 'versions' of the game and allow you to choose from the various control schemes. Wii+nunchuck, gamepad, gamecube, (and maybe) pro controller.

Perhaps mirroring the world in a Master Quest type of implementation.

Reactions: itsOver9000

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I'd be interested in it if I don't have to use the Wii remote motion controls. I have the Wii version of TP but just couldn't stand the controls after awhile. I was thinking of getting a copy of the GameCube version some time anyway.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'd be interested in it if I don't have to use the Wii remote motion controls. I have the Wii version of TP but just couldn't stand the controls after awhile. I was thinking of getting a copy of the GameCube version some time anyway.

That's exactly how I felt about it and so did pick up the GC version :) it's soooo much better.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
I didn't mind the controls too much, but when planning on playing it again I think I'd prefer a controller this time.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hey it's happening! And from the looks of the trailer Link is left handed. So now I wonder if they're going to include motion controls at all!

Music sounds the same. Which is fine.

Interested to hear about further improvements and what the Amiibo support includes.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hey it's happening! And from the looks of the trailer Link is left handed. So now I wonder if they're going to include motion controls at all!

Music sounds the same. Which is fine.

Interested to hear about further improvements and what the Amiibo support includes.
Looks like I got my wish ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.