Twitter app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aztooh, May 26, 2012.

1. aztooh macrumors 6502a

In the twitter app, click on a tweet that contains a link. Press and hold that link brings up some options: Open in Safari, tweet link, copy link, mail link.

I press "copy link". Exit from Twitter app and open messages app to text the link to someone. Press and hold in the input field to bring the "paste" function. And ALWAYS, no dice.

Now, if instead of holding the link within the tweet, I click the box-with-arrow icon and select "copy link to tweet", that works...however, that's an extra step for the person I'm sending it to; they get the link to the tweet itself, and then have to click the link within the tweet.

First of all, wouldn't it make sense to just add a "message link" along with the "mail/copy link" functions? But is anyone else having this problem or is it just me? I end up selecting "mail link", then copy the link from within the email-cancel-delete draft...then go to messages to paste the link. It's absurd. Where are all my "it just works" folks?

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Hmm just tried it twice and am not getting the paste option at all. Maybe it has something to do with the way twitter shortens links? :confused: This does seem like an inconvenience though

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Get TweetBot. It's far better than the free Twitter app, and the 'Copy Tweet' option works flawlessly.

4. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I'll second that. Tweetbot is the last Twitter app you'll ever use.

5. aztooh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for confirming that it's not just an issue with my phone.

well, I downloaded it. I prefer the look of the official twitter app, and it's clunky when going to tweet details and conversation view. I definitely prefer just tapping the tweet to get all of that instead of swiping one way or the other depending which I want. Perhaps I could get used to it.

Holding a link and copying it does work though, unlike the official twitter app, so that's a plus.

Perhaps I'll try to contact twitter to see if it's an issue they can fix. I can't recall if that function worked or not before they updated the app

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I know it sounds like a bunch of us Tweetbot fans are trying to get you to spend money but man I'm amazed at what Tapbots has done with Tweetbot.

I've used them all and Tweebot is the most stable and feature laden Twitter client i've used. Pretty much delete all the other clients and anxiously awaiting a Mac version (please please)

If you continue to use the official Twitter app good luck and hope they keep it functional.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes please. YoruFukurou is acceptable, but I have a feeling that a Mac TweetBot app would be killer.

8. aztooh thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol I downloaded it and will give it a try...$3 isn't going to break me if I decide I don't like it

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

aztooh

Update this thread and let us know what you think. I've subscribed. There are probably features i'm not even using but I'll tell you the Mute functionality is a glorious thing.

10. aztooh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Playing around with it a bit, I think I'm going to like it. I'm reading that there's a 'mute keyword' function, but I can't find instructions on how to do it...and I'm only seeing how to mute users altogether on the app....any help there? THAT would be a fantastic feature...

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Is that the same as mute hashtag or is it something new? I'll check myself.

12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Does tweetbot mute foursquare location posts automagically? If so, I'm in.

13. aztooh thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found the solution right after I posted the question. There are 5 'buttons' on the bottom of the screen: timeline, @/mentions, direct message inbox, and the last two you can customize by holding down...and one of the options is the mute function (text bubble with an X in it)....

...and you can mute by people, keyword, hashtags and clients. Maybe you can mute foursquare under client? And just playing with it for a few minutes I figured it out....while in the Mute Filters menu, select edit on the top right. That will bring up a + on the top left. Clicking that brings up a menu from the bottom of "mute client" and "mute Keyword". The list of blockable clients is long, and Foursquare is on it!

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Sweet! Nice find!

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Aztooh you've had Tweetbot for two days and you're already teaching people! Thanks man! Hope you like it.