Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Twitter Expands Rollout of Voice Tweets Feature for iOS Users

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter says it's making its voice tweets feature available to more users on iOS. Launched in June for a limited number of users, voice tweets is designed to allow people to tweet with their voice, sending voice-based messages instead of text.

Voice tweets can be created by opening up the tweet composer and tapping the new wavelengths icon. A screen then opens with a user's Twitter icon, which can be tapped to begin a recording.

Twitter users can capture up to 140 seconds of audio, but continuous recording is possible and longer audio will create multiple voice tweets.

Listening to a voice tweet can be done by tapping on the image in the Twitter timeline. On iOS, playback starts in an audio player that's docked at the bottom of the timeline so users can continue to scroll through Twitter.

Since their arrival on iOS, voice tweets have been criticized for lacking accessibility in the form of audio transcriptions. That criticism led Twitter employees to reveal they'd been asked to volunteer their time on top of their usual work to focus on accessibility.

The ensuing flak led Twitter to tell The Verge that it was exploring how to build a "more dedicated group" to focus on accessibility, and the company has since announced new two teams in that vein. Twitter subsequently said it plans to add automated captions to audio and video on the platform by "early 2021."

Article Link: Twitter Expands Rollout of Voice Tweets Feature for iOS Users

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Why do I want this? To the extent Twitter is great, it's the ability to scroll quickly through lots of short snippets and see what might be worth clicking through. I can't do that with audio, where I have to pause and listen to someone. No quick glance, no skimming.

And FWIW, that sample image looks like total clickbait. All it needs is a photo of an attractive woman with some skimpy article of clothing to make it complete.

Comment

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I got it the other day, but haven’t tried it yet. I wonder how they’re determining which accounts get it in this wave.

And yeah, it’s absolute BS that they want employees to volunteer to do something that should have been baked into the process.

Comment

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
Why do I want this? To the extent Twitter is great, it's the ability to scroll quickly through lots of short snippets and see what might be worth clicking through. I can't do that with audio, where I have to pause and listen to someone. No quick glance, no skimming.

And FWIW, that sample image looks like total clickbait. All it needs is a photo of an attractive woman with some skimpy article of clothing to make it complete.

nope ... depends on implementation - if you stay on an audio tweet it could play automatically.
We have pictures, text, now audio ... I could argument why text a picture is far better to scroll through ... let’s see what the community gets out of it!

Comment

davidjschloss

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2015
The Heck. Why not do that during working hours? It’s for work no?

If you read the thread linked in the article, it says that it is during normal working hours, however it's not budgeted into their time. In other words, They've got 8 hour days, and not exactly 8 hours of work, so they do this work during those work hours.

But to be clear, there's no formal accessibility team at Twitter—that's one of the things these people are volunteering. And there's no compensation to the team for adding this work to their original work.

They are not, however, being asked to volunteer, or being asked to stay "after work" to do this. They're just cramming it into their normal 8 hours with the sort of nod nod wink wink of their supervisors.

The bigger story here is that Twitter has no accessibility team.

Comment

MacCheetah3

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Why do I want this? To the extent Twitter is great, it's the ability to scroll quickly through lots of short snippets and see what might be worth clicking through.
Agreed.

[RANT]
I'm all for progress and by no definition a social media addict -- and I can even tolerate most ad formats. However, I find social networks useful and entertaining but the changes lately... Ugh! No, just no. Audio blips? Are they purposefully trying to instigate people to create radio ad-type content? It's about as bad as users posting screenshots of news articles in IG stories. Not the platform for that! In fact, that's the problem. Not one platform can be good at everything. So, if we need a dozen different ones for different obsessions. Fine. It's the same logic as having different tools for different purposes. So, to get back to the subject, leave the radio-type rambling for audio podcasts.
[/RANT]

Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Are they purposefully trying to instigate people to create radio ad-type content? ... So, to get back to the subject, leave the radio-type rambling for audio podcasts.
As well, if there’s content that they, as a private company, want to censor (hate speech or Russian bot farms or some such), they’ve just built themselves a system where it’s much harder to detect that - algorithms can scan millions of words of text messages a second. They won’t do nearly as well trying to do that with audio.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.