Twitter is going to remove the like button

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Can someone explain how it’s Twitter’s responsibility to “improve the quality of debate”? I’m not arguing that there aren’t things Twitter could do to improve the user experience but Twitter is just a tool. It’s up to citizens to improve the quality of conversation. Just because one can instantly vomit out whatever thought they have at any given moment doesn’t mean they should. It’s not Twitter’s responsibility to ensue people think about what they say before they say it. And Twitter can’t stop people from believing what they want to believe even if it’s some loony conspiracy theory. We need to stop blaming tools for the actions of human beings.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

If you don't hit the like button, your remaining options are to RT (with or without comments) or respond. Personally, I'm more likely to RT with comment regardless.

You know...kinda like here in the forums. ;)

3. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

They have to change something up, over the last couple of years engagement has gone down significantly. I don't necessarily think it's related to the political climate either, just overall it's been tanking. Take Kim Kardashian who has 59.4 million followers, many of her tweets will get less than 100 retweets, a couple of years ago anything she posted got tens of thousands no matter what. Like FB or Myspace, anyone remember AOL? They only last so long.

That said, I don't know what this move will do other than remove one of the only two ways people have to show support for a tweet. IMO it's not a smart move all considering.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’ve seen some suggestions that Twitter needs to get rid of the RT with comments and allowing people to be anonymous. Most of my tweeting is RT with comment so I’d for sure miss it but I can understand the argument that it fosters snark rather than good conversation. I also understand the argument that people might speak differently if it was their real name attached to their account. I can’t see Twitter ever implementing a real name policy though. Some people are anonymous for safety reasons. Still people aren’t behaving this way because of Twitter. And Twitter isn’t going to solve this problem.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Funny thing is, I use my real name on Twitter. Same as here on MR. I hate following people who have chosen stupid names.

6. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Well, if MR got rid of the like button, I’d never post here again. I do it only for the likes :D

7. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Ha, and I’m anonymous on both. Of course if I had to go real name I would. I’s be saying the same things regardless.

8. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Twitter should definitely keep the "like" button, and add a "dislike" button. I'd use it more than the "like".

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump will blow a fuse.

That being said - if they get rid of the like feature, they should add a bookmark/save feature because sometimes I like things to keep track of them. Not because I "like" them. In the past, I think this is how it was intended. I'm 100% ok with them not making that stat public facing (how many times your tweet was saved).

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Throwing tomatoes and eggs at a bad performance is an age old tradition, one that should be embraced in this day and age. If nothing else, it would keep the snowflakes at bay. If people on Twitter can't take a bloody nose, they shouldn't mouth off.

I hope MR brings back the thumbs down button, at least for PRSI. It make me feel like Ceasar when I can vote thumbs up or thumbs down.:p

11. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Lol.. No Thumbs down options

12. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Hail Cæsar!! :D

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

First I find 140 characters to be very limiting to the quality of 'debate'.
    Et tu Mousse?

I was going to mention the downvote button, but I'm glad it's gone. There was a habit around here of just downvoting what people had said rather than to come up with a counter argument.... rational or not. :D

14. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

You expect rationality here??? :eek:

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

No .... that would be irrational. :oops: However it is the standard in which to judge discussions. ;)

16. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

What bothers me is social media does control the conversation. It’s impossible for me to curate my news feed. There will always be promoted stories and comments shoved in my face. IMO, this is a huge driver for how divided we are. A lot of the interaction on social media just doesn’t exist IRL, with the possible exception of “protests” spawned by social media.

17. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Likewise.

And, if I retweet, it is usually a tweet of something I thought interesting, or worth sharing, or worth commenting on.

Re snark, some people just seem to go through life picking fights. And sometimes, the aim of the snark is to silence voices they do not care for as much as to argue with them.

And yes, there are some toxic places on Twitter; in those places, rather than comment, I will usually press 'like' for tweets that respond to blind hatred and pure prejudice with reasoned argument.

18. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Here’s an interesting piece that argues you can’t fix twitter without breaking it.

What I use Twitter for mostly is news and current events. Most breaking news I see on Twitter before it’s on cable or broadcast TV. And I like during live events (or the first airing of a TV show) to hop on Twitter and see what others are saying/thinking. I especially enjoy it during sporting events or awards shows. Everyone that wants to turn Twitter into Facebook..well just use Facebook then. And only interact with friends and family. One thing I do think Twitter could implement is a real name policy. Maybe people would he less likely to troll if they weren’t anonymous. Or a policy where People who aren’t public figures but have been verified and are using their real name could have a green check. And you could set your preferences to only allow replies from those who have blue or green checks. But bottom line is Twitter can’t fix human beings. People should stop assuming Jack can.

19. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

You need to drive engagement with decent and interesting content, not try to force it on people. Removing your most used feature is a patently bad idea IMO.

I also don't like how Jack Dorsey acts like he can break the rules for some and not for others, when he's interviewed he makes it clear that he'll enforce (or not) any rule he sees fit at the time, regardless of policy which is one of the reasons it's grown into such a haven for negativity.

20. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I find Twitter's insertion of tweets from non-followed users into one's timeline. extremely annoying. Often they are nothing more than a tweet from "a stranger" to some account that I do follow, but Twitter says they insert it into my timeline because the person I follow liked it, so perhaps I'll also find it interesting.

Yeah. More like maybe I'll stick around logged into my Twitter account and wading through that stuff long enough to warrant another "promoted tweet" or two? I find it infuriating. Stuff like this, basically:

"Joe Sixpack [a reporter I follow] liked this:"

Some inane tweet from a follower of Joe Sixpack [a Twitter user I don't follow], with a photo of his five year old kid's lunchbox falling on the ground and popping open as the kid gets onto the schoolbus and the golden retriever left behind is grabbing the sandwich.
    Cute, but... multiply by 50 and how will I ever get down into my timeline far enough to see what the Financial Times tweeted was special about its offerings today? I have only so much time for "cute" on the net, and I prefer to make my own picks. What's the National Fish and Wildlife Service for anyway, if not cute photos of critters, etc.

Or, the substance of an inserted tweet is something on a news topic that I have already seen reported elsewhere in my timeline, and by an account I do follow, so the insertion is a waste of my time.

Sure, Twitter gives us a way to not show an inserted tweet on an individual basis by muting the tweet's author, but think about it: I didn't ask to see that guy's tweets anyway, why should I have to mute him?

So I end up periodically just going to my list of followed accounts, and pruning out most of the individual ones (which I would do anyway a few times a year). I end up back at a followed list of mostly organizations instead -- news outlets, NGOs etc.-- and they more rarely end up being sources of stuff Twitter decides to insert into my timeline.

Surely this is not what Twitter wanted in adding unsolicited content to my timeline? For me to reduce the overall number of contributors to that timeline, so my timeline is shorter and I spend less time scrolling through it, see fewer promoted tweets?

That's their problem. I don't want stuff in my time line that I didn't ask to see. I can't do anything about the promoted ones but these random "you might like this because someone you follow liked it / retweeted it / replied to it etc." insertions really make me nuts. All it does is speed up the rate at which I review my list of followed accounts and usually chop it down by half or better.

When I add to my "following" list, it's on my own initiative for whatever reason, usually a transient interest in a topic being reported on by particular individuals. I don't need Twitter complicating my timeline with their curations of stuff from timelines of accounts that I follow.