Two 5S phones, both with chipping/scuffed edges.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klover, Sep 20, 2013.

1. klover macrumors 6502a

We just purchased two 5S phones (both space grey) and both have chips, scuffs and scratches on the edges. This is right out of the box, no user damage.

I remember reading a review that hypothesized that the new models might be more resilient to scratches (I can't recall why) but, in our experience, they are just as bad as the 5.

Sorry, had to vent. Take a good look at them while you're still in the store - we were able to swap both; one replacement was damn near perfect but the other was just as bad (i.e, visible scratches within seconds of opening).

2. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Not really acceptable when someone pays that much for a phone huh.

3. ematsui macrumors regular

no they dont

4. CrimsonKnight macrumors 6502

CrimsonKnight

Any pictures?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just like last year! Mine had a nick and discoloration along the antenna seams.

6. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

Didn't bother taking pictures of the first two (we were in the store) but I'll post a couple of the one with the nicks/scuffs.

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

You cannot be surprised by this.

Same issue with the aluminum in the iPhone 5 -- it was all over MacRumors and the internet. They bend, too.

8. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was my thinking. My wife doesn't really care since she's putting a leather case on it but I hate the idea of buying a pre-worn device, especially since I tend to upgrade annually and resale value is definitely impacted by condition.

9. shortenjam88 macrumors newbie

My 5s doesn't have any scuff marks but the sleep/wake button rattles a little bit.

10. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

Surprised? No. Just dissapointed that it hasn't been addressed.

11. JayDH macrumors 6502

That's disappointing. I thought the color change was supposed to make the phone more resilient to scuffs. At a minimum they should have made sure there were no scuffs out of the box like last year.

I'm very curious as to how the gold will hold up.

12. lexvo macrumors 65816

Hmmm, I was hoping this problem was solved. Weren't later iPhone 5 (not S) models supposed to be more scuff resistant?

13. Radiating macrumors 65816

The new iPhone 5S is NOT more resilient to scratches. It simply makes scratches LESS VISIBLE.

14. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

That is disappointing. You should not get a scuffed phone out of the box.

15. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

Take them back before your 30 days that's ridiculous, especially if you paid unlocked price no way I'd be back up there

16. BMNEUR macrumors member

BMNEUR

And so "Scuffgate" returns! Hopefully my Space Gray 64gb (AT&T) doesn't arrive like this, I'd be rather upset.

17. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

18. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

5C shouldn't scratch...

Guess I'm going for silver then.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I bought a silver model this time, in the hopes they don't show scuffs and chips as much. I've babied my black 5, but it still has a couple tiny chips that drive me crazy. And my first 5 was ALL scuffed up on the sides. :/

20. Topher227 macrumors regular

My friend and I both purchased 5s' this morning in Space Grey... We experienced no 'scuffgate'. The devices were perfect.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, take them back IMMEDIATELY. like, don't even take off the plastic if it's not off yet, and go to an Apple store NOW.

If you wait, they could argue that it's possible you did it.

22. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

Why does Apple have to let us down like this...

If my iPhone arrives like this, and I have to send it back before even using it, after paying in full and waiting until Late September, I might just tell them to give my cash back, or at least a long complaint over the phone or something...

Were paying ********s of cash for a phone and they can't give us something that's not all F'ed up from the start?

23. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Sell me your phones. When in the office, my mates and I like to play hackey sack with iPhone.

24. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Deja Vu from last year...I was on MacRumors during the 5 release, so many people talking about scuffgate.

My 4S is mint! ;)

To OP, yea that sucks. I think this is why I'm skipping the 5th generation altogether. They just didn't get the finishing process right and obviously didn't want to spend more money to change it for the 2nd year model. iPhone 6 will have a redesign and this will change.

If you're going to make the phone look super nice and out of aluminum, make the phone so it can hold up for a while and continue looking super nice...it's like making a Lamborghini with a paint job that rubs off each time you wash it.

Seriously, I might keep my 4S until the 6.

I wonder how many people will be affected by the chips out of the box. :( I simply wouldn't accept an iPhone with noticeable damage out of the box, no way...

25. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

I was curious if this stuff was going to happen. No idea when I'll get mine but I'll definitely be checking it over for any thing deemed unacceptable for a new phone.

I can only imagine what life is like for those poor folks in China that have to put these together. It has to be brutal to keep up and still be so far behind.