two basic Mail questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paulold, Nov 4, 2011.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

I have the latest version of Mail on the latest MacBook Pro.

1. Is there any way to view just my unread messages? I know I can sort my inbox by "unread" and that does help. But is there a way to create a view of just my unread messages?

2. Is there a fast, easy way to get to the top or bottom of my inbox? Like a keyboard command? The only way I seem to be able to do it is by simply scrolling with my trackpad.

See, the problem I have is that when I come home and check my Mail and my inbox is already sorted to show the unread messages at the top, I will almost always find that Mail is sitting on an email somewhere way down in the middle of my really large inbox. So I end up having to scroll forever to get to the top. Even before when I had things simply sorted by date order, the same thing would happen. So it seems every time I use Mail, I am constantly having to scroll for awhile before I can get started.

There has to be a way to jump to the top. Please!

These are really basic things with email. I could do it easily with Lotus Notes or Outlook on my work PC. Why not Mail?

2. fastmax macrumors member

A good way to view just unread messages is to create a smart mailbox. Mailbox - New Smart Mailbox - Call it "Unread Messages" - Select "Message is Unread" in the popup option and click OK. Now selecting this smart mailbox will display only unread messages.

The shortcuts to go to the top or bottom of the message preview pane are:

"fn + Left Arrow" = (Home)

"fn + Right Arrow" = (End)

These two are quite useful.

3. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much!

See, on a PC you would use the up and down arrows, not the left and right, so I never thought to even try that. I unfortunately use a PC at work...

And my new smart mailbox works great.

This was a big help! Thanks again!

4. fastmax macrumors member

You're welcome! Those have worked well for me, so I'm happy to share them. Enjoy!